• This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Parker Bulldog heading off to resoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBPipe

Since a Dunhill is not an option at the moment, I found this 1960s? Parker that I assume was a Dunhill make. So, it's sort of a Dunhill. :whis:

Not sure if any of you caught it on eBay but, I got it for $45 bucks. I have to say, when it arrived, it looked and felt much better than the pics showed. The stem is nice & tight and the briar is really quite nice.

I'll be sending it off to Walker Briar Works for Dave to work his magic. Last time I didn't include "before" pics so I'm making sure I do this time for the pipe peeps here on PSF.

Lastly, if anyone has any info on this pipe please feel free to share.

Arkie

That pipe has a lot of potential. After Dave works his magic on it you wouldn't trade it for a Dunhill. Post pics of the results.

t-bear

I have the mate (nearly) to that one...a Parker bent dog. It's marked "Parker of London"..."Jockey Club"...and "109". I think it's a slightly lower grade...grain is more washed than yours...but still a great smoker. Congrats....nice pipe!

NBPipe

Thanks, all. I will definitely post "after" pics. As Arkie says, I probably wouldn't trade it for a "real" Dunhill. It does have potential. I bought it knowing there was the possibility it was a train wreck. Especially with the char and oxidation. Something tells me this may be a winner. I'll keep you posted. The bad news is Dave is heading for vacation so it may be a long wait :)

Old Ted

Although often being refered to (somewhat unkindly) as 'Dunhill rejects', old Parkers are fine pipes - I have several, the oldest dating from 1936. The last one - a sixties 'Briar Bark', was bought on UK Ebay for £8, and similar examples can often be had for around 8 to 15 UK pounds. Your price of $45 (£28?) was IMO a little high, but when renovated will be a good smoker - enjoy:th1:
OT

Hawkwood

As a third generation Hardcastle smoker I'm a fan of the Dunhill "seconds". Usually they were seconded for cosmetic reasons but some I own show no imperfections and are very well made. I have a Parker rusticated Dublin that is as good as any Dunhill.

NBPipe

...Your price of $45 (£28?) was IMO a little high...
I agree. I did probably overpay. My thought was that the old school shape & quality combined with Dave Wolf's tremendous restoration skills will keep me around $75 in total. I'll admit, I'm a sucker for older, traditional English pipes :bing:

Old Ted

I agree. I did probably overpay. My thought was that the old school shape & quality combined with Dave Wolf's tremendous restoration skills will keep me around $75 in total. I'll admit, I'm a sucker for older, traditional English pipes :bing:
I was in no way belittleing your purchase NB, for, I'm sure that at the end of the day - around $75 would not get you a new pipe of comparable quality, and pleasure of use.
OT

shadow

That's a nice Parker you have!
I've got exactly the same model but it's the Jockey Club version, shape #73.
It's a fantastic smoker, especially for Flakes! I'm sure you'll enjoy yours once you get it back from restoration!

By the way: The white spot is not original, of course! Since the Parker P has nearly vanished I decided to add the spot myself.:bing:

NBPipe

That's a nice Parker you have!
I've got exactly the same model but it's the Jockey Club version, shape #73.
It's a fantastic smoker, especially for Flakes! I'm sure you'll enjoy yours once you get it back from restoration!

By the way: The white spot is not original, of course! Since the Parker P has nearly vanished I decided to add the spot myself.:bing:
Very clever of you to add the white spot! I like it.

NBPipe

I got my Parker Bulldog back from Walker Briarworks and I think it looks rather keen for an oldie but goodie. The vulcanite mouthpiece, including the Parker <P> looks a lot cleaner but, I got my mitts all over it and smudged it up :shead:

Dave tells me it's from the 1950's and quite a solid specimen :th1:

Total investment = $76.00 including restoration.

Lestrade

That is a gorgeous briar pipe right there. Congrats NBPipe, hope you enjoy her for years to come!

What are you smoking in her for your maiden voyage together?

NBPipe

That is a gorgeous briar pipe right there. Congrats NBPipe, hope you enjoy her for years to come!

What are you smoking in her for your maiden voyage together?
Great question, Les...

I don't know??? I've never had a bulldog so I'm not sure if it lends itself to any kind or cut of baccy??? Any suggestions????

Rodfather

Dave the "magic man" did a wonderful restoration on your pipe. I was glad to see the before and after photos. Dave has worked his craft on several of my pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.