• This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Patching a large stem hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
I got this pipe in a lot at the flea market. It had a large hole and I thought it would be an interesting challenge to repair.




I stuck a piece of thin cardboard (covered with scotch tape) into the stem, along with a pipe cleaner to hold it in place.


I tried filling up the hole with Black Superglue (that has worked for me on small holes and deep tooth marks) but it crumbled away and didn't hold.
Then I tried JB Weld but it didn't hold either.


I didn't want to give up, so I tried Black Epoxy.



It seems to be working so far, but the color didn't match and the patch didn't polish smoothly.


If I do this again, I think I'll try adding activated charcoal to the Epoxy
(or to "thick" or "extra thick" Superglue - that seem to only come in clear).

Has anyone had success filling large stem holes?
 
Last edited:

User3940

Active Member
Member
#4
I wish I had that much free time. That is why I am looking forward to retirement, then I can putter around the shop.

I just received a Peterson Shamrock that has a stem that has a small bite hole in the bottom of it. I may either try your technique, or send it to you so you can work your magic on it.
 
#5
I wish I had that much free time. That is why I am looking forward to retirement, then I can putter around the shop.

I just received a Peterson Shamrock that has a stem that has a small bite hole in the bottom of it. I may either try your technique, or send it to you so you can work your magic on it.
Send it, Coastie. Happy to give it a try.
 

Basil Meadows

Active Member
Member
#6
Here's a thought, have no idea if it'll work. What if you sand the patch down a little and now that the hole is filled, just put a covering coat of super glue on it for the final cover. The super glue fills I've seen you do have been a perfect match for color.
 

mecompco

Active Member
Member
#7
Here's a thought, have no idea if it'll work. What if you sand the patch down a little and now that the hole is filled, just put a covering coat of super glue on it for the final cover. The super glue fills I've seen you do have been a perfect match for color.
That's what I was thinking, or save that for "next time". Do the big fill with epoxy (wouldn't even need to be black) then do the last of the fill with the black superglue.
 
#8
What if you sand the patch down a little and now that the hole is filled, just put a covering coat of super glue on it for the final cover.
Do the big fill with epoxy ...then do the last of the fill with the black superglue.
Thanks Basil Meadows and mecompco. I went with that idea.

First, I removed about half of the Epoxy with a small round bit in my dremel on the slowest speed.


Then I filled the space with Black Superglue in small layers. It worked beautifully.

Here's the patch after filing, sanding, and micromesh pads 1500-4000 but before final polishing with 6000-12000 pads and buffing.


And the final results after polishing/buffing.


Now I'm happy with this repair
and delighted to have made an improvement in my stem repair skills.
 
#11
Thanks for sharing! I will have to give your method a try on this little Normandy (front)... It was a friend's grandfather's pipe & I have been meaning to do something about the damaged stem/bit for quite some time.

 

conroygc

Member
Member
#12
I've been hesitant to use superglue on pipes since I heard through the grapevine that burning superglue will release cyanide gas. But after googling it I wasn't able to find much info about that. Has anyone else looked into this? Paging dwaugh?

But definitely don't get it on cotton, it can ignite!!
 

Basil Meadows

Active Member
Member
#13
I've been hesitant to use superglue on pipes since I heard through the grapevine that burning superglue will release cyanide gas. But after googling it I wasn't able to find much info about that. Has anyone else looked into this? Paging dwaugh?

But definitely don't get it on cotton, it can ignite!!
Being that it's stem repair, don't think heat would be much of a factor. I've heard that about burning it. LoL, don't think I'll try it to find out!
 

mecompco

Active Member
Member
#14
I've done a few pipe with the black superglue. Once it's dry, and near the button, I'm not worried about any toxicity. How hot is it going to get at that point on the stem? If it doesn't get hot, it's not going to release any toxins once it's dry.
 

Riff Raff

Active Member
Member
#18
Bravo - now that is a pipe repair! I'd go at it the same way you did. Using the epoxy as the base is smart, topped by the black superglue - it looks like a million bucks!
 
#20
I posted this repair awhile ago. I used ebonite dust with the black glue. It failed. I might try the epoxy base first.
Let us know how it turns out.

I let the extra mixed epoxy sit out in the air so that I could test it from time to time to estimate when it was cured. It seemed to cure after an hour but remained somewhat flexible. It was still flexible after two days. I was expecting the epoxy to get hard, like superglue does, but it never did. I guess that's the properties of epoxy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.