1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pay it forward

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Greatwall, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

(I have been looking on the forum but I have not seen a anything like this. If there is a thread already dedicated to this please point me to it.)

I have been frequenting a wonderful forum dedicated to Fountain pens and they have a thread dedicated to getting people who are new to fountain pens or just looking to try out different pipes pens that other people don't care for.

It works like this. If you have a pipe that you don't really care for but still think it would be good for someone else you can post it here in this thread. An example would be:

"I have an XYZ pipe that I find I just don't care for and would be happy to give in to anyone in the Con US, just PM me with your shipping address and I will get out to you in the next week. If I get more than one response I will pick one at random on friday"

The goal is to help those people new to the life and give them a chance to really enjoy their smoke. Later when you have acquired a pipe or two that you may not really care for you can "Pay it forward" to someone else.

Please let me know what you think.

~Dalemont

2. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Myself being extremely new to pipes would benefit from something like this, I think it's a great idea. I have seen it on other forumsas well.

3. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

I am just sad that I have but one pipe, or I would give it.

4. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I don't know if you drink starbucks coffee at all, but they have a "pay it backwards" there. you pay for the order of the person behind you. it has happened to me on numerous occasions and i always do it when there is someone behind me at the drive through. if this thing takes off and is still up and running by the time i build up a nice collection i will definately participate!

5. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

There have been a bunch of pipe give aways lately. I think someone did start a thread for it, but have just been within their own thread. Keep an eye out, they go fast!

6. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

It is a huge thing on www.fountainpennetwork.com. I am hoping that this gets such a large response that it gets a permanent spot on the forum under the Pipe main page.

7. Hudson

Hudson Member

I think I hear Ayn Rand flip-flopping in her grave. Actually, I like the idea but I'm afraid anything I'd have to offer would be sent right back.

Tony Malerich and jpberg like this.
  8. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

I doubt it. Anything is welcome unless it is broken beyond repair. One mans junk is another mans treasure. If you have something you want to pay forward then just post a description or even a picture and see if anyone bites. You will be surprised. The worst thing that could happen is no one wants it but I doubt that will be the case.

9. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I'm pretty sure there's some PIF action in the Trading Post.

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

As dwaugh said, there have been various incarnations of this idea over the years, and none ever stuck. Loads of stuff gets given away here, mostly through one off posts, the trading post, and pms.
    I actually like the way it works here, as it gives advantage to people who spend time, and get to know people here.
    Take a gander, when you can, at Capt's "Stand Up Traders" thread in the trading post. You'll see people getting much more than what they agreed upon in trade, learning from that, and doing unto the next guy what was done to them. Pretty much pay it forward in a less structured, more personal manner.

11. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I think the trading post is the best place for this since it goes on there alot anyway. There is a free stuff thread there already https://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/free-stuff.19222/page-3

I already gave away my extra pipes on this forum or I would have one in the mail for you.

12. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Thanks to a few generous donors, I just was able to get a lovely pipe to a friend who's new to the hobby. I'll hopefully be able to return the favor for him at some point soonish :)

13. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

Thanks for showing me where this thread is. It is exactly what I was talking about. I hope that I can get a new (to me) pipe and some tobacco samples in the near future and I plan on returning the favor as soon as I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.