Peeve - Pipe stands where wood meets pipe

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by derangedhermit, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Reclusive member

Most of the pipe stands I see have little shallow spoon-shaped scoops in the wood base where the bowl sits. I've got nothing against wood stands in general, but I don't want my nice burl scraping on something likely to mar or scratch it.

Why not put some felt or leather or something at the points where my precious pipe is going to and fron? What are they thinking?

I do see a few that buck the trend, and own a couple; so the knowledge is out there. It's just that 90% of the products are poorly designed on this point.

dBear likes this.

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I have seen pipe stands where the heel is covered with felt. Shouldn't be too hard to modify an existing stand.

inkybat likes this.
  3. Biggles

Biggles Member

Consider yourself fortunate if this what you have to annoy you. :rolleyes: Or, on the other hand, line the racks with felt yourself. I know that, around me at least, the green felt with one adhesive side is ubiquitous. A pair of scissors and Bob's your mother's brother.

Personally, my pipes aren't intended for display or as keepsake (keepsafe ?? :p:) heirlooms, and I'm just not at all bothered by a nick here or a ding there - normal wear & tear that actually gives the pipes a bit of character, something sadly lacking in many these days IMO.

:puffy:

umfunix, inkybat and Coastal Bend like this.
  4. Primal

Primal Member

I like a simple shelf with holes in it and you stick the stem end in the hole..

umfunix, inkybat and Coda like this.
  5. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

An easy fix would be to glue one part velcro where the bowl sits, and a small patch of velcro on the end of the bowl where it meets the stand.

Spuddaddy likes this.
  6. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Wow ST. Wouldn't that make them free standing pipes? The rack could consist of just the bottom because there would be no need for a stem rest. For that matter I could make my dining room table or kitchen counter my pipe rack. Or the end table right next to my favorite chair. The possibilities are endless. Wait, no need for a table, I could just stick the velcro tape to the wall.

umfunix, dBear, Raffxr7 and 4 others like this.
  7. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

You're welcome!

Spuddaddy and inkybat like this.
  8. Prof

Prof Member

I had an old rack that had holes at the top, but wouldn't accommodate some of my wide stemmed Ser Jacopos, so I used a hack saw to widen the holes and make them "U" shaped...and then I flocked the inside of the U and the egg shaped impressions at the bottom. Very easy...Don Jer Suedetex

http://www.flockit.com/

9. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

This is about the limit of my woodworking skills...

10. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

All my stands have a wood bottom, and it doesn't seem to have scratched any of my pipes. Briar is fairly hard I guess, when I travel I just throw them all together in a bag and have yet to see any damage.

dBear, inkybat, Super K and 1 other person like this.
  11. Super K

Super K Active Member

The horror.:beyes:

I guess my nylon bag needs felt? I have a regular wood rack without felt for storage at home. The SOP for the workday is throwing a cob and a briar in a zippered nylon bag with a tin, zippo, and pipe cleaners.

dwaugh and sillyoldbear like this.
  12. Primal

Primal Member

I've seen some beautiful victorian pipe cabinets with shelves on the doors, pipes all hung in the holes.. i'll have to work on one some day soon:)

13. derangedhermit

I could hang my Petersons upside down by the collar, or whatever you call that nickel / steel / silver thing.

14. Eddie

Eddie Member

I like the stands that have a magnet in, then you put a ball bearing in the bowl. Nice and minimal, but I've not got one.... yet.

dBear and bubbagump like this.
  15. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I don't set my pipes down
    with enough force to
    create any superficial
    damage. I have a seven
    day rack I made a year
    or so ago and I have
    yet to see any residual
    marks on my pipes.

dwaugh and dBear like this.
  16. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I like the looks of those too. Most of the ones that I've seen are pretty pricey though.

17. esteban

esteban Active Member

I am not fastidious enough to care about wear on pipes, but my pipes are pretty battle scarred to begin with. It would be a good project to mod a stand to protect them......

inkybat likes this.
  18. derangedhermit

In the local big box home improvement store, in the section where they have pads for going on the ends of furniture legs, I saw an assortment pack of small felt and clear soft plastic self-adhesive circles, in a few sizes (dime/nickel/quarter). I threw it in the bucket, but have yet to give them a try.

AlexanderM likes this.
  19. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

Do you have a link? This intrigues me.

20. Eddie

Eddie Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.