Penzance problems.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by afiaowo, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Hey all.
    So I’m having an issue with getting Penzance to smoke well.
    It seems like allot of my issue is it plugs up the draw hole since it's such a short cut. But even if I clear the hole it seems finicky. To tight and the stuff is flavorless. To loose and I get light headed from trying to keep it lit.
    I've tried drying differently. The only things I've found is it goes from what I think is just right to dry as a bone quickly.
    What is your favorite method for packing this stuff? How dry do you usually let it get?
    Thanks!

2. Jimmy Bukowski

Jimmy Bukowski Member

Send it my way. I'll see what I can do;)

user2725 and afiaowo like this.
  3. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Use larger cut tobacco to fill the bowl just past the draft hole, and then pack the penzance on top. You could also use one of those... "screens" that are associated with illegal activities in 48 states.

Smokey Tom and afiaowo like this.
  4. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I dry it out about the same as my other baccy's. I rub it out first then 30 minutes spread out on a tray is about my average dry time for just about any blend. I use the gravity fill and tamp method and I haven't had any problems with Penzance so far.

Wish I could help but I'm at a loss for a resolution.

afiaowo likes this.
  5. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Brilliant! So simple.

6. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Thank *********, he suggested it for his rock cobs. They have a particularly large draft hole in the bottom of the bowl.

7. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

If things get bad enough, I'll hit you up for a trade.

Jimmy Bukowski likes this.
  8. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

My first bowl of Penzance was divine. My two subsequent bowls were quite similar to your experience. Just a hard time keeping it lit and slightly frustrating. I did nothing different with the three bowls I smoked?

I am going to try letting it dry a little more next time. It feels like moist soil when I pack it which can't be right. :D

afiaowo likes this.
  9. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Keep a close eye on it though. It will go dry very quickly. It gets nasty as well.

10. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

Interesting. I think I have sampled every Eso blend over the past week or so. I have to say that I really prefer ASTB to Penzance. It is balanced and Va forward and I love it. Penzance really seems like that "special occasion" smoke.

I have to experiment more with it, but the problem is, it stinks having to "experiment" with a tobacco you can't replace.

11. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

I actually posted a review of ASTB. Great smoke! I agree with you completely.

As hard as Penzance is to find I could only get the 8 ounce bag. I hope I end up liking it. I know my wife hates the room note.

Fbones24 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.