Penzance Supply

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DerbyGrandpa, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerbyGrandpa

DerbyGrandpa Member

Just found that my local B&M has a pretty healthy supply of tinned Penzance. Bonus!

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

Nice! Decent prices?

3. DerbyGrandpa

DerbyGrandpa Member

Yeah, decent prices. I picked up a few tins.

4. DerbyGrandpa

DerbyGrandpa Member

$11.25 per tin.

Capt likes this.
  5. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Ya know, my B&M always has this stuff in stock, too. As a result, I've always kind of wondered why everybody says it's so hard to get, but I suppose it must be scarce at other outlets. It's good stuff, but does anyone else think it crumbles kind of weird? It's almost like it turns into a coarse dust or something.

6. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Yea, it has a very strange way of crumbling; not that I have much experience, but it was like nothing else I have seen before in that respect. -David

7. DerbyGrandpa

DerbyGrandpa Member

Hence the term "Krumble Kake".

8. Mount Mandolin

Yeah, but Germain calls it a mottled flake (I believe the only tobacco I know of that comes in "mottled flake" form), and I find that it crumbles differently than "Krumble Kake" tobaccos like Ten Russians or Pirate Kake. It breaks down even finer, to the point that it's pretty much pulverized.

Smoked some Penzance last night, and I really do like the stuff. It burns nicely, has a nearly perfect balance of flavors for an English, really getting the appropriate amount of Latakia in there, unlike a lot of English tobaccos that are just Latakia bombs. Now I enjoy a nice Latakia bomb, but not every English should be that way, and I find that a lot of them are, so you have to search out the good ones, like Penzance. Nightcap is another one; although it's a different sort of English since it contains Perique, it gets all the proportions exactly right. Dunhill (Orlik) uses some of the nicest Orientals I know of. Also, strangely enough, Hearth and Home uses great Orientals, although I suppose I shouldn't find that strange because Russ blends some great tobaccos.

MarkC and Lestrade like this.
  9. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

That trait makes it easy to turn into snuff, by simply putting some into a sealed container and shaking it. :ohyh:

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  10. Mount Mandolin

Lol, have you actually snuffed some before? I'd be interested to hear how that was... :startl:

11. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I don't know the history of the phrase "Krumble Kake", but my own history with it dates to the early nineties at Smokers Haven, when I started smoking their "KK". Since then, I've always associated that cut with those particular Germain blends.

12. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Interesting. Kiowa sent me a sample of it, (which I really liked, thanks Kiowa:)), I was only familiar with flakes that were harder to rub out, so when I went to break up the Penzance and it fell apart into this light fluffy 'Krumbles' I was surprised. -David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.