Perique the Culprit?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Spaceboy Tim, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

I just smoked my first bowl of Escudo and I really didn't enjoy the smell. Before it was lit it smelled fine but when I lit it it wasn't pleasant to me at all. There was a musky smell about it that I just didn't enjoy. I was wondering, is this the perique that creates that musky smell or is it just Escudo as a whole? I would be open to giving other blends with perique another chance unless the smoke smells like Escudo.

I want to say thought that aside from the smell, the smoke was quite pleasant. Smooth, cool, and relatively dry. It seems like quality tobacco but just not for me.

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

The word musky is throwing me a bit, but it does sound like it's the perique/fermented green river burley(whatever Escudo contains.. ) that disagrees with you. I wouldn't give up on it neccessarily...you may grow fond of it...or not. Maybe put it back for another go later. Now there are blends that have a milder perique element you may find more immediately palatable, but without going on a sampling 'tear', it's hard to say.

Worse case scenario-perique isn't for you. No biggie...you wouldn't be alone on that count.

3. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

I'm not too experienced in describing tobaccos and musky was the only word I could think of. I don't mind holding on to it but I likely won't be smoking it soon if ever. I won't be going on any TAD tears for a while so I'll have to wait to see if I Iike a different perique blend.

How would you guys describe the smell of burning Escudo? I gave the tobacco in the jar another wiff and it smelled like wine to me but don't know how to describe the burning smell which smells quite different to me.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I actually have no clue about it's room note...I rarely do with any blend. Either my wife avoids me like the plague(latakia), or she just gives dirty looks(all others).

I didn't mean to judge your account of it being 'musky'...I'm so used to hearing others state perique has a figgy, pruney, raisiny scent that musky didn't add up in my pea brain. Musk makes me think of cheap cologne. So yeah, I say Escudo smells of stewed fruits. sounds like your tin is fine, and your nose is working. You just likely don't care for perique, is all.

Spaceboy Tim likes this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

+1 on Yin's response.

My first try at perique was a bit less than stellar as well. But it didn't take long for me to develop a love for it. I think I was just surprised by how different it was to me. But if it never works for you, that's ok. Lots of people don't like it or get certain undesirable effects from it. There are plenty of other blends out there.

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Give Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls your next shot at Va-Pers. Very different from Escudo. Those who say they're the same or even close are way off!

Ed
    Puff

7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

my tobacconist has a jar of G&H blending Perique, and I buy 50grams occasionally - to add to some 'lacklustre' VA's. When opened, that jar smells pretty bad IMO!, but used spareingly makes a nice improvement to some blends.
    OT

whitebriar likes this.
  8. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

G&H Louisiana Flake is another good one to try.

9. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'll try to muster up some courage to try it again but I have so many blends right now I doubt I will be reaching for the Escudo jar any time soon. Do you guys think I should do the vacuum seal on it instead of just keeping it in a closed mason jar?

10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

If your jar has an airtight lid, there is no need at all to create a vacuum.

Ol Brokedik, Spaceboy Tim and yinyang like this.
  11. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I'm not fond of perique. I had some St. James flake from SG and had to mix it with Best Brown flake to smoke it. I found the perique too peppery and harsh

12. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've found that perique is too peppery and harsh if the tobacco is a little on the dry side. When the blend is a little more moist, it has been fairly sweet for me. Aged VaPers seem to have a nice soft sweetness to them as well, as long as their moisture is preserved.

Escudo is a case in point. I tried a sample from the tin in the last box pass. It was pretty dry and I did not like it at all. I could have been smoking black pepper corns and probably had a similar experience. Another member sent me a fresher sample, and I was shocked at the difference. The coins were softer and more pliable. They smelled more malty and earthy. The flavor matched the smell- earthy, malty and a tad sweet with just a hint of pleasant spice. It was really good.

To test my theory, I left some Anniversary Kake out to dry. I love it's figgy sweetness and find almost no pepper what so ever. After 2 hours of dry time, it was nearly crispy. I loaded a bowl and it was hot and peppery to smoke. No more dry perique for me!

MacNutz likes this.
  13. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

The St. James I had was not at all dry. I will try it again at some point. I liked it fine when I mixed it with Best Brown flake and it mixed well with 1792. I think it is probably a matter of getting used to the perique. I liked it except the peppery thing was a bit much for my current tastes. Mixed with Best Brown it was great. I know from experience that my reaction to tastes will change with time. I will keep what you say about dryness in mind the next time I try something with a lot of perique in it. Thanks Brad.

14. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

I think the taste you are referring to is one of the of the five basic tastes, which has been called "pungent," "savory," and (get ready) "umami." None of those names is really satisfactory.

15. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

The only perique I have tried is "Blending Perique" from pipesandcigars.com. I like it in moderation. More than one part perique to about 8 parts other stuff, and it begins to be a little too much of a good thing. It is like horseradish and prime rib. There has to be quite a bit more prime rib than horseradish for it to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.