1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Peterson 408 Fishtail or Invicta Stubby

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Smokes, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokes

Smokes Member

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I'm looking for a good price (and availability) for a Peterson 408 Fishtail. I've heard either that Peterson is great or Peterson is horrible. Has anyone had a 408? How does it fare? I've heard to stay clear of a Killarney because the finish can bubble. Has anyone else experienced this?

By way of further background, I am a relative upstart. I currently have three pipes. A Savinelli Trevi Slightly Bent Apple 626 (Italy), a Stanwell Bulldog 32 (Denmark)--given to me by our very own Sonarman, and an MM Cob.

I've thought about grabbing up some other choices that others may deem too "popular" but thought it would be good to add an Irish pipe (Peterson) and a British pipe (Invicta?--no I cannot afford a Dunhill). Anyway, my stable would have some of the better standards in the world from regions that are known to love pipes, make sense?

Please let me know too whether there is another maker I should consider. Your recommendations are greatly valued.

2. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I love all my Petersons, period. BUT, you wont go wrong with Pete from Invicta Briars. I ordered a bulldog from him that is absolutely beautiful! WHen I got it, the opening at the mouthpiece was a little narrow so I tried to open it a bit and cracked the whole thing! I was very upset and sent him an email to ask how much to send me a new stem. He had me return the entire pipe and fitted a new stem for me. NO CHARGE!
    Now that's service!

Vauen1, bubbagump and Smokes like this.
  3. bubbagump

bubbagump Sales Account

I've heard nothing but good things about Invicta. One of their pipes is on my PAD list..I just haven't gotten there yet. Savinelli...which you've already hit...is a favorite of mine (I've got three Baronet's and two Savinelli labels). While not an identical shape, the Savinelli 320 is a similar looking pipe.

My $.02 on Petersons....based on the pipe that I checked out at a B&M and the word here...I wouldn't buy one without inspecting it first-hand. Yeah...you can say "you only checked out one pipe," but we're talking about $100+ pipes here. The fact that their QC line lets even one squeak through the cracks with an issue is unacceptable.

I'm not sure how I can buy a handful of Dr. Grabow pipes for ~$30 and have not one single issue, but so many people have issues with Peterson pipes.

PyrateMate, Smokes and WalkinStick like this.
  4. Smokes

Smokes Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

inkybat and MakDragon like this.
  5. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Pete at Invicta Briar has some really nice pipes. I have three and will likely add more.

Right now he has a 25% off sale that would tip my scale toward him if I were in the market.

bubbagump and Smokes like this.
  6. Marker

Marker Active Member

My Invicta bulldog smokes very well. They are a fairly open draw but mechanically sound. The stem could have been nicer but for $60 range I will not lower it a rating for that. From reports the finish has been dropping in quality. I have not seen this first hand. Sounds like Pete is breaking in a new hand recently.

Savinelli makes some wonderful pipes for $60-100. I have inspected and purchased a couple and never seen a serious flaw.

Edit - A 25% off Invicta sale is too hard to pass up. Even if there is any flaw with the finish I will personally guarantee it will smoke great. If you want any special requests, like stem or bowl alterations let Pete know. He is flexible and very nice to work with.

7. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I love Pete's. I love Invicta's.
    I have a few of each currently.

I do not know Mr.Peterson but I do "know" Peter at Invicta Briars. He's a hell of a guy and deserves any business that comes his way. I recently ordered a couple of pipes from him and included the wrong shopping address. The pipes were on their way before I realized my mistake and I had no way of retrieving them (rental house short sale). Pete took if upon himself to write a personal note to the current residents asking that they send it along to me, and included the necessary postage. No charge

And when they showed up, they had been customized (stained red) as requested, though I didn't make that request until two days after after my initial order. Again, no charge.

So you might say Pete is idiot-proof.

8. Smokes

Smokes Member

And the winner is...

Invicta Oval

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    jshogan2, Coastal Bend and Spillproof like this.
  9. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Well said!:gjob:

10. Vauen1

Vauen1 Member

My first Peterson which I owned was an 408 shape because I fallen in love :) you wouldn't do anything wrong to go for her.

Smokes likes this.
  11. Smokes

Smokes Member

Enablers!

Received an e-mail from Pete at Invicta. The Briar is on it's way. I don't know what to expect how long it takes a Briar to skip over the Pond, but it's on it's way.

Vauen1 and Coastal Bend like this.
  12. Spillproof

About a week.

Smokes likes this.
  13. Smokes

Smokes Member

So it sent on the 12th. Haven't received it yet, and I'm on the East Coast. Should I be worried?

14. Spillproof

Nope it's not time to worry.

When I said "about a week" I was being hopefully vague.

10 business days plus weekends is pretty common from the UK, and it's the Holiday blitz on USPS right now.

I know it's hard, but just a little more waiting ;-)

Smokes likes this.
  15. Smokes

Smokes Member

I'm drooling for the post like a Rottweiler.

Thank you, Spill.

16. Smokes

Smokes Member

Belated pictures of my Invicta Briars Oval

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. inkybat

inkybat Member

Very glad to be introduced to Invicta Briars in this thread! Thanks guys!

Smokes and jshogan2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.