1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Peterson Calabas: Dalkey/Kenmare/Shannon?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by GregL, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregL

GregL Member

I was wondering if any of you gents had any experience with the above lines of Peterson pipes and could offer some reviews/thoughts. I'm moved to get a Calabash shape and I'm interested in these sub-$100 (US) offerings.

Thanks!

2. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

I have a Dalkey. The stem is made out of a harder plastic than I am used to so I only use it when I'm sitting back and can hold the pipe in my hand. Doesn't feel right when clenched. Same situation with the Irish Harp I have. I don't have any Kenmares.
    Shannon B10 is one that I've been looking at as well. Stem is made out of the more usual material so that's a plus. I like that shape. Should be a nice comfortable smoke.

3. GregL

GregL Member

Hmmm, thanks for the input. And, yes, I was kinda leaning towards the Shannon myself. Not just because of price, either, but I just seem to like that overall design better.

4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

The Shannons are Pete's answer to the Dr G. They're basic hacking around pipes, and they smoke well enough. I liked mine, and it was one of my favorite travel pipes. Unfortunately, it was appropriated by one of my kids' friends (who I suspect used it to smoke leaf of another sort). That's the reason I now keep all my briar pipes secured in a curio cabinet that has a lock. I don't have a Kenmare or a Dalkey, but I like how they look.

5. user2725

user2725 Active Member

If You are stuck on Peterson I can understand but Butz Choquin makes some very nice 'bashes in that price range also.

6. GregL

GregL Member

Ah, I did not know that. So it would be worth the step up in price then. I am also thinking of getting a Meer in that shape.

I'm not but BC doesn't seem to be offered at smokingpipes and I just love to use their pipe finder feature.

Uh-oh, I may have just fallen in love with Erik Nording Freehands. :drly:

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I think so. The Arans are nice, as are the Donegals - both are good pipes for a fair price. The System pipes are nice, and the entry level System Standard runs about $95USD at Cup O Joe. The St. Paddy series are also some nice pipes, and they run about $80USD (or so).

8. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I have a Shannon B10 and really like it.

It was my first Pete and first conical bowl, so it took some getting used to.

The only issue I have with it is that because of the bend of the shank, the mortise is drilled deeper than it should be, leading to a gurgle every now and then.

9. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I have a Shannon.. I like it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.