1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson Irish Oak

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by ukpipesmoker, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ukpipesmoker

ukpipesmoker Member

The dry woody taste of this tobacco would suggest that it really does contain oak, and the gorgeous tin aroma is not at all represented in the smoke.
    There is a sweetness that comes through with the dark bitterness but that's as much as can say about this blend really.
    I find it has two components - a burnt bitterness with a sweetness on top, like the thinnest smear of syrup on burnt toast. I don't find any middle flavours to bring it together.
    I didn't get to the end of the bowl but instead raked it out and washed the experience from my mouth with a strong coffee.

Crazycoyote31 and RTOdhner like this.

2. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Your Huckleberry

Give it a few shots. I hated it the first couple times I smoked it. Actually have my first tin away. Bought another later on and liked it quite a bit.

3. Adam Matherly

Adam Matherly New Member

I can't say I hate IO but I can say I'm itching to go buy another tin of it either. To many great English blends out there.

4. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

It doesn't really 'contain' oak, it is just aged in oak barrels, IO is no FMC ;)

ChristTiger likes this.
  5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Its one of my favorites, and I have quite a bit in the cellar. I first smoked it in a small Pete apple and liked it OK. I then put it in a large Pete XL14 Kinsale, and the flavors really opened up. It does really well in a large pipe, and fairly dense pack on the top 1/3. Smooth, slightly sweet, a bit of toast and nuttiness. It's freakin' good stuff Maynard. :bing:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  6. ukpipesmoker

ukpipesmoker Member

I know it doesn't 'really' contain oak.

7. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

There was a winky face!

8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Irish Oak is one of my favorites, but I find it has to be really sipped from a pipe with a larger bowl to be fully enjoyed. It's not in the same class as Escudo, but few blends are.

BradNTX, jshogan2 and bubbagump like this.
  9. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

x2. I like Irish Oak, but there are similar blends that I like more (i.e. Escudo).

BradNTX, ChristTiger and RTOdhner like this.
  10. Crazycoyote31

Crazycoyote31 Member

sounds like a great tobacco

jshogan2 and BradNTX like this.
  11. jshogan2

jshogan2 Sales Account

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Brad here. I first tried Irish Oak in a smaller pipe (an army mount Pete 303, I think), and I really wasn't impressed. I then tried IO in my Pete XL02, and it really had much greater depth of flavor, far more complexity throughout the bowl. For me IO is a solid burley blend with a nice hint of natural oak that comes through. I really enjoy it when I'm looking for something mellow with moderate complexity that doesn't beat me over the head with latakia like most of what I smoke ;).

WalkinStick and BradNTX like this.
  12. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Reclusive member

Any observations on nicotine levels? I rated it medium to medium strong, but I'm just getting started.

"A rich blend of Cavendish, Zimbabwean, Orange, Thailand Burley & Black Perique, matured in Oak Sherry Barrels."

I think TR listing it as a VaPer blend is perhaps too narrow a term. Would the Zimbabwean and Orange be Virginia tobacco?

(I'm smoking some right now.)

Explorer352 and BradNTX like this.
  13. BradNTX

I've never been a cig smoker, so don't smoke for nic. I'm fine with medium to medium strong levels, but don't like the knock out blends. I'd say Irish Oak is a comfortable medium.

I'm not sure about those leaf descriptions. Maybe an email to Peterson would provide an answer?

14. piper965

piper965 Member

I had the same experience. First time I tried this tobacco I absolutely hated it. I immediately left the the tin on my tobacco shelf. A few years later I found that tin and decided to try it again. To my surprise I loved it! Smoked the whole tin in about a week! Could have been a result of my personal pallet maturing over the years. Or maybe the tobacco ages well. Either way I recommend buying a tin and if you don't like it, try it again a year or two down the road.

jshogan2 and WalkinStick like this.
  15. jwh891

jwh891 Active Member

Thanks guys.... now I have another tobacco to add to my TAD and try....:thu2:

jshogan2 and mitchell like this.
  16. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Reclusive member

Acording to my spreadsheet, the following blends are all very well-regarded, popular, and similar to Irish Oak in that they have, in addition to Virginia and Perique, either Burley or Black Cavendish. Some come as flake or curly (sliced rolls).

Irish Oak is the only one listed as having both Burley and Black Cavendish in addition to VaPer. Irish Oak is also advertised to be flavored with sherry, and none of the following admit to any flavoring.

ReinerBlend 71: Long Golden Flake
    G. L. Pease Triple Play
    Davidoff Flake Medallions
    Cornell & Diehl Burley Flake #3
    Cornell & Diehl 417P: Night Train
    Cornell & Diehl 126: Old Joe Krantz

17. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

Me too, the family "banned" this tobacco from me.I don't like the taste and i can not try him any more except alone in the roof. :eek:

WalkinStick likes this.
  18. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I've yet to find a blend with Perique in it that women approve of. For me...VaPer's are an outside or solo (in the car) smoke.

SidStavros likes this.
  19. BradNTX

Content types may be similar, but none of the C&D blends taste anything like Irish Oak. Good maybe on their own merits, but not similar in taste. I've not had the Reiners, GLP or Davidoff before. Do any of the latter taste similar?

20. Mattybob

Mattybob New Member

Being relatively new, I'm still learning how to discern flavors in tobacco. That being said, I cracked open my Irish Oak this evening at work. At first whiff, I had what amounted to a religious experience. Beautiful aroma with the sweet hay and dark earth tones others have mentioned. I really did taste the sweetness coming through during the smoke. It lingered long after, much like a good scotch would (for me). My Sav Trevi really took a liking to the tobacco.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.