1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Peterson Meer and a question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Burner, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burner

Burner Member

I found this Peterson Meer on ebay
    [attachment=1094:Pmeer.jpg]
    The stem was brown and a bit revolting
    [attachment=1095:stem.jpg]
    after a bit of a clean
    [​IMG]
    My question is; This looks as if it had some sort of band which has gone astray - Does anyone know where I can get a replacement band?

2. WillH

WillH Active Member

I had Floyd Norwood ( http://www.norwoodspiperepair.com/ )put silver bands on two of my meerschaum pipes. I recommend Floyd because I know he does good work but he also has extensive experience with meerschaum pipes. It's possible he could replace with a Peterson band, dunno! Anyhoo, it's worth a shot.

He's fast was well!

Will

3. Burner

Burner Member

Thanks - I'll have to look him up. Might have a word with Peterson direct to see if they can supply - I know they replace stems and wotnot.

4. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Nice looking meer Burner. I've never seen that type of carving before. I wonder if that's still called rustication?

5. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

its a laxey meer, alternately called man pipes, manx pipes, manxman pipes etc, the names derive from the fact the factory was in laxey, the main town on the isle of man, many of them have the male symbol on the stem (when not made for other pipe companies like peterson). african meerschaum, will not colour, hard as briar (not that i suggest you test it) and considered by some vastly inferior. i've yet to see a single one with a silver band but i'd recognize the strange carving anywhere. i've a few, i've sold a few. they're great low maintenance meerschaums and happily fairly inexpensive. if you ebay search for any of the names they were made under (as well as barling, peterson, or comoy sometimes) you'll see them pop up. i see one posted about once a month, sometimes more.

thats about all i could tell you about it though.

6. Burner

Burner Member

Thanks Dub I'll name it Laxley. I just gave it a try with some OGS and it smokes pretty well. There is some colour around the shank so I'll see how that develops. It does seem fairly robust so with luck I won't break it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.