1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Peterson nickel band

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by AndyLowry, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

My new model 307 arrived today, and I like everything but the cap on the shank-- there's a scuff on one side that shows what looks like copper underneath the silvery metal, and surrounding the center hole is corrosion that looks a lot like rust. Anybody know what the metal is? If it really is nickel or nickel plating, I can at least clean the corrosion off with some stuff I have for cleaning gunmetal.

2. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

Nickel plating adheres to copper better than steel. You're seeing the wash coat of copper under the nickel. Copper is used as a base coat under several types of plating. I don't know if it's used under silver, but I don't think so.

3. jhe888

jhe888 Member

FYI, old fashioned silverplate is silver is plated over copper or nickel silver (German silver) for items like silverware, tableware, candlesticks, etc. Of course, sometimes it is solid silver. Nickel silver shows less if the plate wears. Now silver is often electroplated over steel, especially for items that need to be stronger, like cutlery. (Ever used a solid silver fork - they bend very easily.)

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I hate to state the obvious...and possibly irritating...but if it's new, why not demand a pipe that isn't 'damaged'? I say irritating because of the reship and wait.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yeah ... +1 . Swap it out

6. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I'd already smoked it before I looked at it in good light, so now it's a used pipe. Live and learn.

I think this is Petersons' way of telling me to get one with silver fittings next time. :eek:hyeah:

7. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Thanks muchly; that makes sense. Now, where did I leave my electroplating kit...

8. justMike

justMike Member

I honestly don't think that applies;- as a consumer you have set statutory rights and are entitled to receive a product bought in good faith in condition that is "fit for purpose". I doubt you would have purchased the pipe had its description read that the plating had been poorly manufactured and carried scratch damage, therefore the damage shouldn't be there. There is a statutory "cooling off" period whereby you're entitled to return the product in exchange for a direct replacement or refund of costs. I'd contact the store and state your case; any store worth its reputation should prioratise customer satisfaction. I've little doubt that they'll do everything they can to see to it that not only are you satisfied with this purchase, but that you'll consider them when you think about buying another.

9. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

To play Devil's Advocate, Peterson could claim that he damaged it while smoking and just didn't realize it. There's a large list of 'what if's' that could make them not responsible. Regardless, they'll probably change it out. Give it a shot.

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

It is nickel plate - see Peterson's web site. If it's new it shouldn't be like that - I'd ask for a replacement. In time - like 20 years that kind of band can discolour in parts - the one on my African meershaum by Petersons has to an extent.

Good luck!

Gerry

11. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

While it may be true that smokingpipes would replace it for me, given their good reputation, I don't want to be that guy in a restaurant who sends back his half-eaten breakfast because the eggs are cold. It's a minor cosmetic defect that I can easily fix if I want to, and it's my very first System pipe ever in my whole life, so I'm keeping it. It smokes fine (although it sure is gurgly for being a "dry system"). If the wood or the stem were damaged somehow, that would be a different bucket of octopi.

Besides, I'm breaking it in with 1792, so who the hell would want it now? :eek:hyeah:

This won't scare me away from Petes-- I'm already eyeballing a System Darwin with lust in my heart.

Thanks for the information and suggestions, though, y'all!

12. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

System pipe 'gurgly'? Surely you jest. If not, pull the stem and shake out the condensation.

13. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Yeah, I guess flake is just too much for it. It's not from smoking too fast; I would fall over backwards if I tried smoking 1792 too fast. Condensation seems to be collecting in the stem-- sliding a pipe cleaner into it solves the gurgles. The sooper-seekrit System chamber isn't all that damp. :dunno:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.