1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Peterson Pipe Question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Johnnie, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnnie

Johnnie Member

I purchased a new Peterson of Dublin Donegal Rocky 03. I have smoked it a few times and now I notice that the bowl has and under cut where the hole comes in from the stem. This undercut is rough and not symmetrical like you would expect from a machine cut. So instead of a hole at the bottom of the bowl there is a groove and a cavity the goes two thirds up the back of the bowl. This looks like it would make the draw from the back of the bowl instead of the normal bottom of the bowl. I haven't smoked this pipe enough to determine if it is a good smoker or not. This is the only Peterson pipe I have and I am wondering if this is normal for Peterson pipes or a flaw.

Thank You

Morse likes this.

2. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Haven't had that problem, but I will tell you that flaws are normal on Petersons. It really is time that the factory does something about it, but they are unlikely to fix their problems if people keep buying lots of their pipes. Therefore Pete is off my approved list. I suggest you boycott them in the future.

Stonewall likes this.
  3. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

If you bought it new at a retailer, I feel confident between the retailer and the factory, that Peterson will make it right, based upon their history and reputation.
    Hey, cant hurt to try

4. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Did you have trouble smoking all the way down to the bottom of the bowl? If not it may just be cosmetic, if you did, it may be a problem.

5. Johnnie

Johnnie Member

It looks like a chunk of briar came out of the rear wall of the bowl. It doesn't appear to effect the structure of the pipe. I was able to smoke it to the bottom of the bowl. I purchased the pipe new on- line from a seller that sells many new Peterson pipes. I am probably beyond the return window.

6. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I have a system I won off of eBay that has the same problem. It doesn't affect how it smokes.

7. Jim44

Jim44 Member

....." Therefore Pete is off my approved list. I suggest you boycott them in the future.".......

My sentiments exactly !! All of my experience with Peterson pipes has been totally disappointing.

8. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

If it smokes well, then I wouldn't even worry about it, sounds like you have a winner!

I got a small Peterson system pipe that looked like it was mis-drilled a little, but I smoked it anyway and hoped for the best; months later it is still a gurgle monster. In the future I will be less likely to smoke any new pipe that looks like something is off. Delaying the gratification of a new pipe by having to return it for an exchange would be a bummer, but less so than buying a new pipe that doesn't smoke well.

9. craig

craig Active Member

dont own a pete but i have read about quite a few guys on here who have had less than satisfactory experiences on them, which is why i have put off buying them, but if you manage to get a good smoke out of it i wouldnt worry, just keep your eye on it and see what happens

10. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I will echo what Jussto has said. I have always liked the style, and shapes put out by Peterson, but will tell you that there have been some complaints about quality.
    Recently at my local little B&M I looked at some of the new Peterson pipes on display. They have a Rosslare that I could not believe my eyes. The stem, and grain in that pipe are terrible compared to the Rosslare I had. I gifted it to my daughters fiance as he loved, and is still loving it. We compared it to the new Rosslare on display, and wow--just--wow. The new one on display--well the stem work is terrible, and the bowl--well--the finish, grin etc. is not good. I did not even to bother tking it apart, nd checking the drilling.
    I AM NOT trying to start a Peterson bash fest--please do not allow this to start, but I have to tell you that after looking at several new Petersons, and comparing them to older ones--I am so disappointed. I really love their style, and shapes. Also their silver work on their older pipes.
    I cringe at the thought that such a great name in pipes perhaps is suffering some quality contol issues.
    A while back I had posted on this site--a thread, or two somewhere on the site--but anyhow I had purchased a little bent billiard Peterson Irish Sea. I liked the color, shape, and exterior looks of the pipe. That was untiul I noticed when I fired it up for the first time--the draw was horrible.
    Instead of taking it back I reworked the draught hole using tiny micro files until I could reassemble the pipe, and make it pass a pipe cleaner. I also taper the end of the stem using a small diamond cone tool. the hole through the stem was fine.
    I then loaded the pipe, and I will say that after my VERY tedious hand work---this little pipe is a little champion. It also has broken in very fast compared to other Ptersons I have had.
    This little pipe now has the white "P" almost wore off of the stem, and is in my work bag for regular rotation as it has become a little champion. I share this story with you because I have always liked Petersons, and sadly I think they need to just slow down, and concentrate on their quality instead of quantity.
    I like the older Petersons, but am VERY reluctant to trust ANY of the new pipes unless I could actually hold that pipe--take it all apart--look at the drilling, and internals to include a close inspection of the bowl, finish, fit etc., and really look at any silver banding as to how it is attached.
    I am deeply saddened by some of the Petersons I have recently looked at.
    I am sorry, and do not mean to offend ANY Peterson fans out there. After all I am one of those fans. As I said I have ALWAYS liked the looks, and style of them.

11. craig

craig Active Member

i think thats the thing with most items that are coming to the modern age machinery is taking over and the new generation isnt or doesnt want to learn the craft of making things by hand, and companys dont want the time and cost intensive procedures to deal with instead they want stuff made and complete as quickly as possible.
    Its pretty sad because petersons rep is massive and it would be sad if it went down the tubes because of the reasons or above or other.

12. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

By reading these forums it may be seen that their reputation IS going down the tubes.

13. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I tend to agree with you. The only Peterson pipes I've bought are ones dated in the 70's and earlier. I've seen some nasty flaws in the newer ones I've looked at. Bowls riddled with fills, bowls improperly drilled, substandard briar perhaps. I've even noticed bowl burn outs in several I've looked at.

14. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

I have a Pete 120 from the 80's and its a POS (Perfect Older Smoker), nice light briar, good drilling, very easy draw.
    It's the only Pete I own, as of today, but when my 2009 gets here next week, I will see how that goes..

15. Icepick

Icepick Member

I bought a Donegal Rocky 05 last week from Iwan Ries. The hole is drilled exactly as it should be. The first smoke was a true pleasure as have been each since. I've only had 2 other pipes that I enjoyed as much with the first smokes, one italian and one french.

16. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

You'll find plenty of opinions going both ways, sometimes quite strongly. I am a big Peterson fan with 35+ Petersons on my racks now (a strong majority). I'd say a third are pre-1980s. A handful are 2000-present and the majority are in between, with only five or six I've bought brand new. Thus far I've had one issue with a rustic Sherlock Holmes Lestrade that was drilled much too high into the bowl - on the one hand, perhaps an "easy" mistake, on the other SH is supposed to be one of their mid- to high-grade lines and definitely should not have got out of the factory like that. After mudding that one, I'd say all are at least good and several are great smokers. Now, fills don't particularly bother me much on the entry level smooth ($100ish and under) lines. I think taking some of their not-quite-good-enough stummels from their mid+ lines (like Antique and Iceberg) and then doing them in the year's St. Patrick's finish is a perfectly fine idea. I am, however, a little irked by the presence of fills on their standard Sherlock Holmes line (priced around the $200-$250/pipe range) - to get a fill free Sherlock it has to be a $400+ "natural" finish. And while it does seem to be true that a good number of pipes are escaping quality control (as evidenced by others' experience, not my own), Peterson is known for excellent customer service and will try to rectify any problems -- of course, it could be said that a buyer shouldn't have to deal with that, and I get that point.

So... yeah... take that as you will :)

Thuber88 likes this.
  17. dwhit

dwhit Member

I bought an unsmoked Peterson 2007 St. Patrick's Day pipe not long ago. I really didn't think I was going to like it, as it just didn't smoke or draw well. It is now nearly broken in and after quite a few bowls and some cleaning it smokes like a dream. I reserve it for aromatics, so it doesn't get smoked as often as some of my other briars, but thankfully it is going to be OK I think :)

18. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I also had about 3 dozen Peterson briars. Then I sold the problem pipes. There are 14 left. Those are quite good. The others were often of unaged briar, badly stained or the stems didn't fit right. On one, the draft hole was half closed near the bowl. I kept that one and carved it open. I like the character & heft of the Petes, but they are disappointing at least half the time. Their meerschaums, though, are my best meers (they don't actually make those). Someone with some personal pride needs to take control of that company. It is a shame to see a fine old firm degraded by sloppiness & complacency.

19. Waino

Waino Active Member

I have learned this: some Petes and Savs are good, some are not. Uneven in quality. All Stanwells are good. We have 124 Stanwells.

Jussto, dwhit and ShilohHollow like this.
  20. noodle

noodle Member

I suppose a good idea with peterson then would be buy them when you can check them before you hand over your money
    Stick to the b&m's for them rather than online sellers.
    Ive a few older ones and have to say all smoke fine. But. In my local shop they have a calabash and while it looks nice the draw hole is about a quarter of the way up the bowl. Not what you want for 40 quid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.