Peterson Pipe Tobacco's

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jonny, Sep 4, 2010.

?

What Peterson Pipe Tobacco Do You Prefer?

1. Sweet Killarney

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sunset Breeze

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Connoisseur's Choice

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Luxury Blend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gold Blend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. De Luxe Misture

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. Old Dublin

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  8. University Flake

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  9. Irish Flake

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  10. Peterson’s Perfect Plug

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  11. Irish Oak

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  12. Irish Whiskey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Sherlock Holmes

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonny

Jonny Member

Hey fellas, I was just wondering if anyone has any input on a good Peterson Tobacco to try out. I am open to anything but, I am looking for more for flavor then that nicotine buzz. I know alot of you boys swear by the Peterson Flakes but, I havent heard alot about the Aromatic and Traditional Blends.

Here is a link containing all of Peterson's tobaccos: http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/tobacco.html .

P.S- I'm making a poll in the hopes that some of who are to lazy to go into depth about why you like the tobacco can still give me a little feedback via a simple click. :)

2. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

Sunset Breeze and Connoisseur's Choice are both on my list to try, but I haven't yet smoked any Peterson tobacco.
    I realize this post is completely useless to you. Sorry.

3. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I have only smoked university and sweet Killarney. Have to say the SK has a great room note, but found it making flavor. On the other hand I like UF so much I picked up there Irish flake.

4. Jonny

Jonny Member

Hahaha. Well keep up to date with the topic and hopefully some of the boys can help us out on types to try! Who knows, maybe Sunset Breeze is not as amazing as it sounds!

Also soundlzrd how was the Irish Flake?

5. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I not sure yet. Just picked it up last night. I should know by tomorrow. Very windy here so flakes are great.

6. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

Irish Flake is great. It has a straight up tobacco taste, and is naturally pretty sweet. It's got a pretty heavy dose of nicotine, though. University Flake is another great one. It has less nicotine, and it's got a light berry topping, which isn't too overpowering. Every time I smoke University Flake, it never fails that someone passes by and tells me how amazing it smells, which never happens with any of my other tobaccos.

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

This year I have become quite a fan of Peterson's tobaccos - this is only a personal opinion of the ones I have tried:-

Sherlock Holmes - mild to medium, sweetish taste, cool smoking, almost as if it were a medium strength tobacco, slow burning but best suited to smoking indoors if you want to savour that superb aroma. Would not recommend drying if you really want to enjoy the aroma - suits being smoked in a Falcon or Peterson system pipe. Needs to be smoked slowly, and by that I mean really slowly to coax the best out of it - smoke slowly and you'll get the taste to the very end of the bowl.

Sunset Breeze - my real favoutite so far. Comments as above but the taste is Amaretto and it stays throughout ther whole bowl, The room note guarantees women will talk to you to ask about it. A lovely mild - medium smoke if your tecnique is right and you like an aromatic.

Sweet Killarney - this one attracts dreadful reviews from people I suspect who've had one bowl of it smoked too fast. This is a mild tobacco. This tobacco is not for the beginner or anyone looking for a fast and immediate nic hit. Take a well seasoned briar, cob or meer, sit down and relax then fill this straight from the tin ever so slightly on the firm side. Pour yourself a large one of your favourite and light up. This is a sweet smoking mild but very satisfying tobacco and if you get it right you'll have the vanilla flavour right to the last puff. Sas made a beautiful pipe, The Sexton Blake, I broke it in with neutral burley and then loaded up with Sweet Killarney - he'll confirm I emailed him to say, "Ive never had a pipe that just stopped smoking. I tried to relight it but no joy. Went inside and in the light I found out why - the tobacco was exhausted - it just smoked to the last hsred with no hint we were approaching the end."

Old Dublin is a tobacco that'd probably be enjoyed by the "English Tobacco" lover and sadly I'm not one. It's a medium (just) strength tobacco with a Balkan overlay and the latakia taste just doesn't sit with me. If you like this type this will be a winner,

Hope this helps

Gerry

8. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I am bit saddened to see PPP not getting a shout out, but I suppose that Irish Flake holds more allure than its more effort-prone cousin. If you feel like using your sharp pocket knife that otherwise just sits there and gathers dust; pick up a tin of PPP and experiment with it. You can cube-cut it, turn it into flakes or broken flakes... and it is worth getting just once to see just how Perfect their Plug is.

9. Njemt527

Njemt527 Member

Go for the university flake. Good, true tobacco flavor with sweet subtle hints. Its got a bit of vitamin N too!

10. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I have had both Luxury and Connoisseurs and by far prefer the latter. I like it when it's dried out some as it can be a bit wet but if your used to aros it shouldn't be a problem. It is really tasty, lots of fruit a hint of booze and I would say coconut.
    I'm waiting for some PPP to arrive this week so should be able to give an update on that. It's coming with some Mick Mc Quad so it will be interesting to see the difference.
    Cheers.

11. Burner

Burner Member

Umiversity Flake is my favourite a splendid smoke every time as stated above a little topping but a good true tobacco taste. Sherlock Holmes is quite good but I find it can get hot. Irish whiskey I find rather dull. Irish Flake is a nicotine monster and has a floral hint perticularly early on. 3p's is splendid stuff a lot of parlavar though having to chop it off the block. Will have to try the sunset breeze next.

12. Jonny

Jonny Member

Thank you to everyone for your input thus far, I think I'm going to go with the University Flake just because everyone seem's to be raving about it! And then after I go through that tin, pick up some Connoisseurs!

Although I'm still looking for a nice Fall Tobacco. Something with more earthy flavour's... (does that sound peculiar?). When I used to smoke cigars I smoked this one type of Cigarello called Macanudo Maduro, and it had all these delicate earthy flavours but, when they came together it was really a full flavour on its own. Its been 2 years since I have smoked one but, I still faintly remember the taste of piney and nutty flavours. :cigar:

13. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

University Flake, then Irish Flake, then Irish Oak....these being the only three I've tried.

Uni Flake is a Va/Bur with a strong Virginia presence, and a sweet berry topping...there, but very subtle. That and the moderate nic content put it at the top.

Irish Flake has more tobacco taste than Uni Flake, but the heavy dose of Vitamin N makes it an occasional smoke for me...I'm a wuss. The Burley is outweighed by the stoved Kentucky and Virginias, which for me, is a plus.

The Irish Oak left something lacking, probably the preponderance of Burleys. My body chemistry doesn't handle Burley well....wicked tongue bite!

14. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Irish flake is good! I will have to have another bowl as I packed it wrong and I had to toss most of it half way through.

I Leo had another bowl of sweet Killarney this am. Falcon is correct, sip it so and it is very rewarding.

15. Pipedan

Pipedan Member

I just recently bought a tin of Sweet Killarney and enjoyed the first 3 smokes so far. As gerry mentioned if packed correctly will have a nice vanilla aroma / flavour to the bottom of the bowl.
    Nice aromatic with no bite and very mild smoke, room note is that of vanilla / caramel.

16. Burner

Burner Member

Big disappointment tonight got home and I've run out of University Flake AAAARGH. Time for an order!

17. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

After smoking Irish flake two nights in a row then coming back to UF I find UF better. this may change as the IF drys out a bit

18. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

I smoked a tin of the Gold Blend. While it's not a bad tobacco, I just never seemed to get totally in sync with the cinnamon flavor in it. IMHO it's ok for a change of pace but it will never be a go-to tobacco for me.

19. adryazad

adryazad Member

I just got myself a tin of Connoisuers's Choice.. Its my second bowl today, and i must say.. its lovely..
    Treat it slow and the tobacco will reward you..out of the tin, it smells wonderful, I'm not sure about room note yet.. i gotta step out of my room in a while and come back in.. but my gf and her friends don't mind the smell at all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.