1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Peterson Pipes: Background?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Felix, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Felix

Felix Member

Hello all:

Picked up my first Peterson (K&P) estate pipe on ebay. I believe the model is 304. Military Bit.

My question is: What is the background and or history of the pipe/pipe maker. I suppose i could Google it, but a conversation may be better.

Havent smoked it yet, will this evening but just wanted to know what im in for. Is it any good? And also, this will be my first non-filter pipe.

Felix

2. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

I am a huge fan of petersons, I have 4 currently and am very happy with all of them. I plan to get another petersons in the future. They smoke great, you're in for a real treat.

3. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Peterson Pipes has quite the history, but I dont know it off hand...other than the fact that Mark Twain was used in their advertising campaign...at least in the US...

4. Felix

Felix Member

Thanks for the help! I am off to smoke it for the first time.

Felix

5. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Hi Felix (my favorite cat) and welcome. I have a couple Peterson's and love them. Great smokers. My ebony Pete Killarney is one of my fav. pipes.
    Please post pics of your new Pete and maybe you smoking it.
    Enjoy!:th1:

6. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Upon further inspection, perhaps Twain was not used in Peterson Ads. For some reason I thought he was...he was used in Prince Albert ads, however...

7. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

check out the internationalpetersonspipeclub online

8. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

9. Felix

Felix Member

Great Fellas. Thanks for all the info. I smoed it last night and it was amazing! Smoked well, and no bite, and the biggest perk is that it STAYED LIT!!! Love it!

Felix

Rodfather and Old Codger like this.
  10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....folks keep saying here, how he had one of his 'worthless' underlings break corn cobs in for him - maybe they were Irish cobs, full of PA! :ohyh:
    ot

RTOdhner likes this.
  11. Felix

Felix Member

12. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Peterson makes my favourite pipes. Most of them have a draw that is easy to control so smoking all the way through a bowl shouldn't be difficult, as you've just discovered. Enjoy! Peterson only make one horrible, nasty shape that I'm aware of, the 80s, which you shouldn't buy.

13. Felix

Felix Member

Ill keep that in mind! Thanks. yes i am in love with this pipe. I like buying American Made, so my two Dr. G's are good for my soul, but this ppe just seems to smoke better than them. Not trying to knock them but just saying how i feel/smoke.

14. Felix

Felix Member

I have a pic, but i dont know how to insert it. I thought i was pretty good at computers too. LOL!

IMAG0504.jpg

15. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Inserting a photo can seem like a headache at first. There are some clear instructions posted on the Site Info and Announcements Forum.

16. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Well I never owned one until Jeebs traded me one for a Stanwell. I never really cared if I owned a Peterson or not. Until I smoked my Donegal 80S.

After that, I know without a doubt I'll own more. I was impressed.

Old Codger likes this.
  17. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

My favorite pipes are the Peterson Sherlock Holmes meerschaums. The meerschaum and the p-lip give a smooth tasty smoke with no bite. The Peterson type plumbing, which they had installed on these pipes is far superior to the second rate plumbing on most other Turkish meerschaums. The S H briars are excellent as well. Yes they do have the typical Peterson flaws:problems with the drilling and placement of the air channel and stain inside of it, and difficulty in getting a pipecleaner through any but the straightest pipes, but I most often reach for a Peterson when I want a briar.

Old Codger likes this.
  18. Felix

Felix Member

[​IMG] Here I am smoking the Peterson. I is great!

Old Codger and Coastal Bend like this.
  19. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

Here is all the background you need!

Bman64, BigJ, Felix and 1 other person like this.
  20. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

Great looking pipe, Felix. Here is a picture of my 306, next to my 302 ebony. I need a system in the rusticated finish ;)
    [​IMG]

Dondi, RTOdhner, Felix and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.