Peterson Special Reserve 2013

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Calidadd, Jul 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calidadd

Calidadd Member

I think I'll be buying a tin of Peterson Special Reserve 2013 later this week. Anybody care to give their review on this candy?

2. Calidadd

Calidadd Member

I wonder why this thread is not showing in "something new"?

3. Moose

Moose Active Member

I have a new tin but haven't tried it yet. It smells nummy. Waiting for the right moment to try it. I may use it to break in my new Peterson Dracula pipe.

mecompco, KingsTarantula and Calidadd like this.
  4. Calidadd

Calidadd Member

Dracula collection is pretty cool.

mecompco, KingsTarantula and Moose like this.
  5. andysc83

andysc83 Member

I think I may pick some of this up with my next order. Heard good things about it so far.

mecompco and Calidadd like this.
  6. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Calidad, I picked up a tin of this as soon as it came out as I always enjoy Peterson's special releases. This is no exception,its been their best in quite a while.

In a nutshell, excellent base tobaccos, a lovely balance between the various va elements and the cavendish. I often find that notes which are prominent from the tin are lost in translation with cased peterson blends, but fortunately this isn't the case with sr13. Extremely pleasant, almost alcoholic peach notes come from the tin, and these translate nicely to true burn without being overpowering or sickly. I noticed the passion fruit come through very subtly after a while. Excellent composition and burns pretty well straight from the tin. I think you will enjoy this blend for sure :)

7. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Lukasaurus:
    I agree with your evaluation. One of the things I noted that was when I smoked it that it was a well behaved tobacco. The tin notes and the smoking experience were wonderful and I did not have a loss of flavor from the smoking experience. When I purchased the tin--my local B&M had two tins of it. After I loaded my pipe I left out enough for two bowls and jarred the rest. I like this stuff enough that I went back and purchased the other tin and vaccum sealed it with my food saver to put back for later enjoyment. I can say that when this stuff is smoked--you WILL get compliments on the room note. This is a tobacco that tastes as good smoking it as its' tin note gives off. Wonderful aromatic. I must also add that I usually do not smoke aromatics and have only a few that I do enjoy from time to time. If other aromatics I have tried behaved like the Petersons 2013 limited reserve--I'd smoke them more often. Petersons did a great job with this one. If the were trying to make a high quality, well behaved aromatic using good base tobaccos--I say they hit the mark right square in the bullseye on this one. Awesome stuff for an aromatic--AWESOME.:appl::bing::bing:

8. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

By the way I must clarify--I am speaking about the Petersons 2013--Summertime tobacco. I kinda left that out. Sorry:doh:

9. Morse

Morse Active Member

This is an excellent summary - its a great blend - peach is not of of those notes/aromas that I typically enjoy, but this is excellent. I think that you will thoroughly enjoy it.

mecompco and Calidadd like this.
  10. Smarty Jones

Smarty Jones Active Member

Just cracked a tin of Special 2013 Reserve this morning. It's OK, solid quality, but didn't blow me away. Was looking for something a little tangier like Gold Blend. As of this moment I still prefer the Gold Blend over this but will definitely give this one some more time out of the bag and won't have any problems finishing it off.

mecompco likes this.
  11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Smarty if you like the Gold Blend, get the 2013 Holiday Blend from Peterson. It hits some of the same notes, fruit and cinnamon, but lacks the what, almost sort of buttery taste that Gold Blend offers in the background.

Smarty Jones and mecompco like this.
  12. Smarty Jones

Smarty Jones Active Member

Thank you sir. It's on the list for next month coming up here soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.