1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

peterson spigot question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by David Emond, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdto

jdto Active Member

From what I've seen at some of the pipe sites, there's a difference between the Peterson Spigots and the Peterson Army Spigots. One must be a higher grade of pipe, in terms of briar and materials, than the other.

Army
    http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=KW&item=pthas69

Regular Spigot
    http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=KW&item=pthws69

David Emond likes this.

2. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

This is a really helpful information, thank you. I was going to look after a Pete with that shape, now I won't. If it's going to smoke hot... not for me.
    David: If you like that style and you got the money, go for it. But as the Honorable Ruffinogold, our Mayor said, 100$ for a stem is just too much proportional to the rest of the pipe. I would try to find this exact pipe you got in mind somewhere else.

David Emond likes this.
  3. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

4. David Emond

5. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

If you really like the pipe and can afford to add it to your collection, then go for it. If you're not sure, then save your money for something that really knocks your socks off.:D

6. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

I understand that an army mount is designed to allow for separation while the pipe is warm. Doesn't the spigot work the same way? On a few occasions I have removed the stems on my Pete systems. Am I courting disaster by doing so?

7. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

I have one Silver Spigot that I bought over 30 years ago. For what that's worth it's been a great pipe and I still smoke it regularly. If the pipe you are looking at haunts you then just buy it and be done with it. If it doesn't, and you have a hankering for a good pipe then just send the money to BST and you'll at a minimum get great bang for your buck in terms of something that smokes like a champ.

8. Doug McCoy

Doug McCoy Member

David, just an FYI, the Pete that you sent a photo of is the highest grade of Peterson spigot, not one of their run-of-the-mill spigots which they offer in a variety of finishes. The current retail on that pipe is in excess of $500. if you can even find one, cumberland(brindle) stems are no longer offered by Peterson, so that adds a uniqueness to the pipe, if the retail on the pipe in the shop is $350., rest assured it is new, old stock and it is a good buy. I had this very pipe about 15 years ago, if this were a Dunhill you would have to mortgage the house to buy it and it would be a special order only item! Happy puffing!

David Emond likes this.
  9. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Pretty spigot. Never seen a spigot with a cumberland stem.. or a pete with a cumberland stem and the lightly colored smooth bowl.. personally i'd go for it.

Doug here says cumberland stems are no longer offered by peterson, and i wanna arrest ya slightly there Doug.. afaik the Kapries series has them in combination with brownish red blasted bowls? Been looking at the kapries a bit lately.. they seem to have showed up on some sites recently.. might be new old stock ofc.. im no peterson historian ;)

David Emond likes this.
  10. David Emond

jdto likes this.
  11. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

It is overpriced. I have sold 2 Pete Silver Spigots on Ebay, both smooth with natural finish, and gotten under $200 for each. No used Pete is worth $300.

12. jdto

jdto Active Member

Apparently, that one was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.