1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Peterson Spigot v. Spray Spigot

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by JuJu McMojo, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

I've fancied the looks Peterson Spigot pipes for some time, but at $250 they're a bit on the pricey side. I notice the "Spray Spigots" are $150, but all the descriptions read the same for both types--surely, something accounts for the $100 difference (fit, finish, materials, etc). I've asked an e-tailer about the differences, and the response was: "the spray spigots are slightly larger." (um, really?) My B&M doesn't carry any of the Peterson spigots (spray or otherwise), and is guessing the fixtures are probably nickel, and not silver.

Does anyone know the answer? And if you own one of these pipes, what's your impression of them? At $250, I realize I'm entering artisanal pipe maker territory, and wondering if the Pete would be a worthy investment at that price. (not Pete bashing, I own 2 and love 'em)

2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Member

The normal Spigots, or "Army Spigots" are sort of a higher grade - they should have zero fills, but may have a few of those small pits the size of a pinpoint. The other spigots (green, red spray, walnut, etc.) could have fills.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The "spray" pipes look like a cheaper finish to me - akin to the Killarney red lacquer. Pure speculation on my part though.

4. jhe888

jhe888 Member

5. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I've had a few silver spigots. Lovely pipes, but not nearly the experience or long term pleasure of having a pipe made for you. At 250 bucks, you can have any number of pipemakers make you your own pipe, not one you picked out of a catalog.

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I have a big-a$$ Pete Pipe of the Year silver spigot which you might wish to discuss with me off-board -

xenawarriorcat
    a t
    ho t
    mail d
    ot com

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Seems our cuddly 'lil Squatch knows his Petes. Finish and very small pits are the dif. function is the same.

9. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Thanks for the responses--JP confirms what I kinda suspected. I'm not really in the market for a new Pete right now, but this question has been nagging at me for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.