1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Peterson Stain

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Kayla, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kayla

Kayla Member

Hi all:
    I smoke mainly Pete P-Lips and was fortunate enough to get a couple of new and nearly new pipes recently. I ran a pipe cleaner through them and proceeded to smoke them. After a few pipe fils I clean out with a little alcohol on a cue tip. On these new pipes I got a bunch of orange red stain. So I kept cleaning with alcohol and it keeps coming out. So I filled the bowl with grain alcohol and clean out the bowl and reservoir. All this dye or stain keeps coming out. It took a lot of warmed alcohol before it seems to abate. What is this stain in the bowl and shank for? And is it ok to smoke?
    Thanks
    Kayla

Vauen1 and esteban like this.

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I only have one "new" Peterson and though I didn't have this problem, I have heard similar complaints. Peterson sometimes stains the inside of their pipes. Oops.

A tiny amount of stain will go a long way when thinned out with alcohol. I would imagine that you've removed all the stain you can at this point. Smoke it. You'll cake right over that in no time.

Anyone know if Peterson has recently changed their bowl coating?

Mount Mandolin, piper965 and esteban like this.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

God, I got a newSHerlock series pipe and it was stained in the bowl, the airway, the mortise, I took the stem off, ran a pipecleaner through that and IT came out red.... I was disgusted.

Clean out what you can with alcohol and then just smoke the thing.

Mount Mandolin and esteban like this.
  4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Oh and as to "what it's for".... it's for saving Peterson 2 seconds per pipe - they just dip the whole bowl rather than applying stain with a brush or qtip.

5. ASmokingMan

ASmokingMan Member

I've several recent Petersons. The only one I've found with this problem/issue (if it is a problem) is a system 31. By the time the pipe was broken in there was no more stain coming out of the shank on cleaners.

The non-system pipes don't seem to suffer from this. I read somewhere on-line that Peterson put a cork/bung in the bowls before dip staining them, with the exception of system pipes. Why the system pipes are an exception I have no idea.

6. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

The one Pete I have was totally nasty looking so I cleaned it like it was a nasty estate. It took 3 hitches of cotton balls and everclear plus about two dozen pipe cleaners, that cleaned it up very good.

7. Kayla

Kayla Member

Thanks. The reason I ask is that I do taste this stuff and it not good. I have had three pipes like this. I did write Peterson About this and an issue with a poor stem. They didn't address the stain in the reply.

8. piper965

piper965 Member

Peterson dip stains a lot of their pipes. This tends to be a pretty common issue with a new Pete. All the advice above is the best bet. You've done the right thing by cleaning it with alcohol. I've seen some that are worse than others. Sounds like yours was pretty bad.

9. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Reclusive member

It's the same stain on the inside and outside. One new Peterson, a De Luxe, was stained on the inside, and one standard system pipe was blackened, probably over the stain. I like a medium-dark walnut finish, and have been using rubbing alcohol and/or Everclear and paper towels to remove much of the red stain on the outside. About three passes gets most of it off. Once you wipe the stain, the bowl exterior turns a more neutral (and dull) brown. A new coat or two of appropriate stain, wax, and polish, and I am now very pleased with their appearance.

I want to seal the Peterson reservoir area so the briar doesn't absorb moisture, and I can clean it easily. But I don't know of a good sealant to use for this. Some kind of clear (or white, so I could see) high-heat coating would be ideal.

10. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I would recommend against this.
    A System pipe is meant to work as is, which is to say with exposed briar in the reservoir to help absorb/regulate moisture. By sealing that area, you'd be defeating "the System" and forcing moisture somewhere else (the tenon and stem).

Instead, just wipe out the reservoir with a couple of Pipe Cleaners after after every smoke (let it cool a bit before pulling the stem even though it's banded, IMHO). They're great pipes. Enjoy.

inkybat likes this.
  11. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Reclusive member

The system pipes seem to me to be very practical, everyday pipes, and that's what I like most about them. Won't the reservoir collection area still work to contain moisture without it being absorbed by the briar there? I'm concerned about the taste of the accumulated moisture appearing over time.

I do appreciate the advice, and I do wipe out the reservoir, and I do let the pipe cool so little force is needed to remove the mouthpiece.

12. piper965

piper965 Member

As long as you keep it clean, you won't get any weird or foul tastes over time. I've had my system pipe for almost 7 years, and I'm only more and more pleased with it every day. No foul tastes at all.

derangedhermit likes this.
  13. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Sasquatch has, of course, answered the question, but I will say that I also had this problem when I bought my one and only Peterson pipe, a System 303, a couple of years ago. I haven't bought a Peterson since, and I actually traded that pipe away not long ago.

I don't want to use this thread to badmouth Peterson, so I won't. But I will give a shameless plug for Neerup pipes, which are in the same price range and are excellent smokers nine times out of ten. They don't tend to stain the inside of their pipes, either. I understand the charm of Peterson pipes, I really do, but these sort of pervasive quality control issues have scared me away, and I can't be the only one.

sillyoldbear and piper965 like this.
  14. Iain

Iain Active Member

I'm a big Peterson fan, but the stain in the bowl thing really does annoy me, especially the fact that it's present on some of their more expensive pipes. I was recently gonna spend quite big money on a high Pete but because I was ordering online I got worried about quality control issues and ended up spending less on a couple of cheaper pipes (seems a bit illogical now but made sense in my mind at the time :confused:), the pipes were fine when I got them anyway, apart from having to scrub out the bowls with booze.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  15. Kayla

Kayla Member

I guess that in spite of the stain issue I have to say I enjoy the Petersons a great deal. It's not that big Of a deal to clean it out. It was just a surprise and not a good one. Now I know and will pre clean before I smoke the first time. I appreciate all the comments.
    Kayla

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.