1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Peterson Tankard......maybe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by wtagye, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtagye

wtagye Member

Hi, I am new to the forum and have started smoking my pipe again. Fortunately I am smoking it much better now that I have found some info online. I never really cleaned my old pipe and never realized how much better the experience can be. Can you say bitter and nasty? I can, but I digress.

I really like the look of the Peterson Tankard, but I am a bit concerned about the size. I have heard many comments about how small they are and I would prefer a more average size. I tend to clench the pipe in my teeth and puff on it so I have a tendency to go through a bowl rather fast.

Any recommendations on a similar pipe style that may be larger in size but still be in a similar price point?

Thanks for any input.

Will

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Welcome Will #2...

MM Cob pipe and a forever stem.......a clinchers dream!

3. wtagye

wtagye Member

Thanks for the reply Jesla. I had a feel ing that is what i would hear, spend some money on a pipe and the $5 corn cob is the one I will like best!

4. wtagye

wtagye Member

Just went to the MM site. Forever stem...what does this mean?

5. WillH

WillH Active Member

Hi! Great handle!

A Peterson Tankard is a Peterson Tankard, no other will do. Kinda unique pipe and Peterson does it well. Get the Pete and buy the cob as well. You WILL need three pipes. :eek:hyeah:

Will

6. user0003

7. wtagye

wtagye Member

Hi Will, thanks. I think if i can throw down 60 bucks for a Pete I can swing 5 for a MM.

As a side note, you know you have a great wife when she googles that you should have 7 pipes to rotate daily and thinks it makes sense. God bless her soul!

Of course the real beaut is a Dunhill Bent Billiard

8. wtagye

wtagye Member

I totally deserved that. In fact I thought the same thing as soon as I posted, "why don't you search it FNG!!!"

Thanks.

9. WillH

WillH Active Member

Forever Stem on a MM Diplomat. Very comfortable, durable and you can stick it on any MM pipe. One stem and a bunch of MM bowls is the idea.

Will

10. user0003

11. wtagye

wtagye Member

Is that the same stem that comes on the Great Dane? I really like the spool style

12. WillH

WillH Active Member

Don't think so? Not sure either. I bought a couple of those stems when they first came out with the "Forever Stem". The stem is a "Spear Style" and fits the filtered pipes. The only MM Spool I have has a long Forever stem on it - not sure what it's called.

One thing about the MM Spool bowl is that they tend to be a thin walled pipe bowls. If they are drilled the least little bit off the walls are paper thin.....had a couple burn through real fast. You need to pick them out personal like.....

I really like the forever stems and I'm fussy about stems.

Will

13. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Welcome Team T,
    Sas is selling a nice Petersonesque pipe. Might be out of your range but looks nice and to all accounts his pipes smoke super. Might be worth considering.
    Cheers.

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi and Welcome,

Am quite a big fan of MM Corncobs myself and can recommend Forever Stems - I have on on my Freehand and it's good looking and comfortable - pic is on my other computer back home sadly; but Forevers are worth the money!

Best as ever

Gerry

15. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Welcome Will...

Dude, the wife says seven makes sense? Can you say green light, go? :yes:

I thought you could.

For a hundo, get the Pete, a forever stem, and a handful of MM cobs...the cobs can be repeatedly smoked with almost no lag time, so they're a good start. If your budget allows...well, go nuts. Dunhill, you say?

-Kyle

16. wtagye

wtagye Member

Thanks for all the great replys!

I am actually on my way out the door to pick up a CC I will keep your guidance in mind Will.

I live outside of Manchester NH, I am headed to Twins but are there any more recs for good smoke shop in the southern NH area. Next weekend I will be in Albany NY and I am going to check out Habana Happenings.

OK I googled it first, who or what is Sas and where do I see their pipes?

I like your plan Yinyang, the Dunhill is going to be a reward pipe.

17. user0003

Sas(sasquach)......well he is our Forum Pet, a little hairy and smells amight but he widdles a good pipe.

18. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

LOL!

Yeah, go to the for sale section here..he puts up his 'whiddlings' there.

19. alaska_adam

alaska_adam Member

True that!!! ;)

20. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I'll have to 3rd or 4th (or whatever the number is...) :)

SAS carves a wonderful pipe (have 4, and all STELLAR, 2 are out of this universe!). Can't go wrong with a Todd Bannard (SAS) pipe at all. So under priced and will put production pipes (even Petes) to shame! Get one and you'll understand, no hype on this, just truth. Trust me.....I'm a nurse :groucho:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

P.S. MM Cobz rawk too and I have several and they all smoke wonderfully. "Upgrades" to the MM Cobz can be done fairly eazily by changing out the stem (oem MM) for a Walker Bros "Forever Stem" (your choice in vulcanite which allows for many different shapes and lengths or lucite.......if lucite, you have many different styles, lengths and colors. Topping the "Cob-heap" are cobz by Jake Hackert (from Lancaster Pa), he takes the MM cob and makes it a "dragster/top fueler"! Can't go wrong with any of the 3 (MM, MM w/4-ever stem, Hackert). Any Q's, feel free to pm me.

P.P.S. re: Pete Tankard, it's a nice sized small bowl that'll ride very comfortably in your shirt pocket. Great for a short-quick smoke (30-40 min). Sometimes you need a "quickie"........everyone does! :whistle:

Petes are very well made and well worth the bucks. I have a Pete "Tank" and a "Belgique". I favor the Belgique over the Tank but both are super "lil-smokerz".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.