1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

peterson tankard

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by hansel, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hansel

hansel Member

any of you guys have any exp. with one of these b ad boys. i think my soon to be father inlaw got me one for my b-day, and just wondering how they smoke

2. Goat

Goat Active Member

Nope..... But it's on my PAD list.

IrishRover likes this.
  3. krusty

krusty Active Member

I've an older Tankard. Has the stickbit rather than the new style of stem that Petersons went to a couple of years ago.
    As for smoking, I love mine. Never a gurgle, light as a feather. Fits easily in a shirt pocket.
    Very simple pipe that simply smokes anything well.

It's the one up front, to the right of the Donegal 03
    [​IMG]

Lithua pipe and Old Codger like this.
  4. hansel

hansel Member

nice peterson stable you have there, so which do you like better the tankard or the barrel,

i had a hard time trying to decide if i wanted to tankard or the barrel

5. Spam

Spam Member

I'm after a Tankard too. But boy, those army style ones are gorgeous, might be an ebay jobby.

6. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I have the military bit version; small, light - nice flake pipe. Love mine, uh huh.

Lithua pipe likes this.
  7. Spam

Spam Member

As an aside, I'm wondering why this is a 'Tankard' rather than a 'Poker'. Any thoughts? It seems that the pipe shape enigma is a tough one to crack.

8. Iain

Iain Active Member

I have a Rustic Barrel, it's a great pipe for the reasons mentioned above ;) mine has the newer type of stem with the P-lip, I'm a clencher I find the P-lip comfortable.

I had problems with that decision too, I decided I liked the Tankard in smooth and the Barrel in Rustic. The Tankard was out of stock at the time so I had to go with the Barrel.
    I'll ask for the the Tankard next birthday :p:

9. krusty

krusty Active Member

Both smoke equally well. Actually, both pipes are identical in all aspects except for the minor difference in the bowl shapes. I prefer the Tankard slightly simply from the point of it's looks!

I'm of a mind that the primary difference is in the length and positioning of the shank. According to the blurb from Pipedia the Tankard is Petersons take on a shape called the Don from Dunhill.
    http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Duke/Don

Spam likes this.
  10. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

A Pete tankard is also on my PAD, a friend of mine has one and loves it.

11. hansel

hansel Member

ya i wanted a smooth tankard but could only find the rustic one, but either way i cant wait to fire that bad boy up with a nice Va flake

12. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

I had been wanting one for a while, and came across an estate rusticated, military mount. The newer ones (I think?) aren't military mount...though I might have slightly favored a smooth one, I wanted the military mount and the price was decent, so I snagged it. I've only had a couple of bowls in it so far, but it seems to be a great smoker. Smaller than I was expecting, but that's ok, everyone needs a few small pipes in the rotation. It is a p-lip, as I presume all the Tankards are...so you should know that going in. I'm considering sending mine off and having a fishtail stem made for it.

13. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I was THIS close to snagging one sans stem off the 'bay the other day but decided against it. In general Petes are fine pipes, and if the shape is to your liking I think it's well worth owning one.

14. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Yep... same here... :byg:

15. hansel

hansel Member

what really drew me to it is that fact thats its small and would be a good clencher for when im working or smithing or something along those lines. all so im on a huge va kick right now and that small bowl would be awesome for some of the more heat sensitive bl3nds

16. Gig

Gig Member

My Peterson tankard has been the only pipe from Peterson which gave me no end of trouble to break in. It tasted vile throughout several smokes but eventually with persistence is now a very good smoking pipe :)

Old Codger likes this.
  17. hansel

hansel Member

so it doesnt come carburized or anything, to bad cause i hate the taste of a brand new pipe

18. hansel

hansel Member

sweet just went by the future inlaws and sure enough i got the tankard. smoking it now and i love it. im really starting to lean towards the smaller pipes, i feel compelled to load big bowls to there full capacity and these small ones are just the right amount of nic.

Smokingmiami and krusty like this.
  19. Goat

Goat Active Member

Well, I was at my local B&M yesterday and guess what he had.
    Suppose I can cross this one off the list now.

[​IMG]

Hudson, Smokingmiami and Old Codger like this.
  20. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

[​IMG]

Old Pete with fishtail, military mount. 9/10 oz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.