1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by Eric Pierson, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Not what I expected. Not to belabor the point of it being called an english amidst most conventional understanding of that term, I was most expecting an Irish Whiskey type backdrop with the flavoring of the rum and maple as that was the topping indicated on the tin.
    I was highly surprised to get blasted with Lakeland scents. It now makes sense that this would be made by GW as the plastic bag did throw me. It is not what one would suspect when opening a round tin from Peterson. I bought the tin last November as is customary for me to do at Ash tobacco in Gaylord for the opener of the Whitetail firearm season. They always have something new there, its a great shop.
    The surprise taste left me disenfranchised at first and I don't think I smoked any more of it til later when I returned home. I really don't get anything mape in this at all. My only experience with maple before was C & D's Autumn Evening where I found it too heavy. This is not like that at all. I also don't really taste the rum. It is pretty much a lakeland. If you don't like that type of thing don't buy it.
    Based on all of this, you may think I didn't like it. Well, five months later it started tasting pretty good to me. Granted I did not enjoy it as much as GW Best Brown #2, which leads me to believe this might be too heavy in lakeland as the aforementioned is quite light. Nor did I enjoy it as much as Irish Whiskey as that has a little more of a burley taste that I enjoy.
    I will add that the plastic bag, albeit crude and inelegant in comparison to other Pete offerings did a fine job as over 8 months I never needed to transfer this to a jar and the leaf never got crunchy.
    In terms of smoking properties, it burns well and cool and provides a pretty good hit of the nic. It can be a bit monotone, but overall it is a good tone. It will definitely ghost a pipe, so if you have some to spare, dedicate. Also, this can be smoked all day without a problem, I just did so at a golf outing yesterday and I enjoyed that so much, I finished off the last bowl on the way to work this morning.
    Overall recommended to those who enjoy Lakeland aromas on Peterson Kentucky, Va base.

Rodfather and David Emond like this.

2. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

OK, I apparently hit enter or something too early and the whole thing got posted before I finished typing the title. It must have had something to do with pasting the body before typing the title, so I will add that this is my review I posted on TR this moring for Peterson's Hyde Park.

David Emond likes this.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

I think Peterson really did themselves a dis-service in labelling Hyde Park as a "traditional English" (or whatever they called it). Most smokers assume that it's going to be a latakia/oriental laden thing, and with Old Dublin being a pretty serious offering in that regard, expectations are certainly NOT that what a guy is buying is really almost more like some kind of Navy Mixture (Va, condimental orientals, rum?). I actually liked Hyde Park a lot, it's my type of blend for lots of reasons, not the least of which being that hint of Lakeland type flavor... it's neat tobacco. But the labelling is stupid, for sure.

4. User5642

User5642 Active Member

I really wanted to like Hyde park and I totally agree that labeling it an English was a mistake. It is far too sweet and syrupy and has a cologne like tin aroma that transfers to the smoke and kinda keeps me from going back to this blend. I dunno :)

Eric Pierson likes this.
  5. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Funny that this thread came up just as I'm lighting up a bowl of Hyde Park. I don't notice any rum in it, but that could be due to my habit of leaving tobaccos in a jar with air about a third by volume. I like the way Hyde Park is cut and smokes, and the taste complements strong black coffee. As to it being an English, the map they were looking at must have been a bit off that day.

Eric Pierson and User5642 like this.
  6. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

Hyde Park is a weird one, personally I love it, the base tobaccos are all excellent and the cut is nice but the plastic bag was a little off putting and I think it keeps the moisture in a little too well. HP really does benefit from being dumped in a mason jar and being left for minimum one month.

The maple and rum sugars can be a little cloying but if sipped slowly in a pipe with a smaller bowl, or even better a cob, it makes a really nice short, sweet smoke especially, as OC says, with black coffee. I've been on the same tin for four months so it's not an everyday smoke but when I do pull it out I always enjoy it.

Eric Pierson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.