Peterson's Sherlock Holmes Blend.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Brand: Peterson's Sherlock Holmes, blended by Kohlhase, Kopp & Co.

Tin Description: An old 19th century blend of Orange and Red smoking leaf, Brazilian Burley,
    and Virginia Mysore Indian tobacco.

Contents: Air cured/ribbon cut Burley, Virginia, Oriental tobaccos in a 50g Tin.

When I first opened the tin, my nose was greeted with a delicate aroma, kind of like sweet apricot tea. It's for sure an aromatic, but a light one. The tin note does not match the room note, but both are very enjoyable and neither reminds me of candy soup (unlike many other aromatics). The tobacco is a little moist (but not too bad),and it dries out very nicely after about a week. It's a mild to medium strength smoke, with a mild dose of Vitamin N, and the various tobaccos used in it play very nicely with one another but I think the Virginias take center stage.

At first, I thought that this was a very good smoke but not necessarily anything I'd go out of my way to reorder anytime soon. However, having now smoked multiple bowls of this blend, I've come to the conclusion that this is a really wonderful blend. It makes for a great Saturday and Sunday morning pipe, when I don't feel rushed to get ready for work and can just sit back in my smoking chair with a bent Country Gentlemen corncob pipe and a cup of black coffee, and just enjoy the morning. I like it so much, I've devoted a Country Gentlemen exclusively to this blend - a tin or two of which will be on hand at all times.

I've seen some pretty bad reviews of this blend on Tobacco Review, but I think those reviewers were being a bit unfair to this delightful blend. This is not a sexy blend, it's a traditional/conservative blend and the trick to getting it is to sit back and sip it. If you want an exotic blend that will take you rocketing into the stratosphere, look elsewhere because this will probably disappoint. This is a blend that needs to be enjoyed for what it is, and not panned because it's something it was never intended to be. What it is for me is a wonderful blend that possesses an understated elegance that I prefer in my tobies, especially in my morning smoke.

Rodfather and ronbruce61 like this.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I've had some transcendental moments with SH, but just as often I find it harsh and bitey and just kind of bland. I can find no rhyme or reason for it. But when it's on it's on, and when it's off... bluck.

3. RTOdhner

That was why I was originally kind of luke-warm to it. It was very picky about which pipe I smoked it in, more so than any other blend I've tried. However, it has been consistent (and very nice indeed) in the Country Gentlemen.

4. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

I just tried my first bowl of Sherlock Holmes. A bit of a nice aroma when I first opened the tin. But a disappointment as a smoke. Tried it in a briar. Next smoke of it will be in a cob, to see if improves.

5. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

Received 3 new MMs and decided to dedicate a CG to this blend. Works well, tastes good. Just ordered a second tin.

RTOdhner, Old Codger and Spillproof like this.
  6. RTOdhner

The problem I've had with it since the original post is the consistency. This problem goes further than just can-to-can, and I've noticed it from bowl-to-bowl from within the same tin. One bowl will be very nice, but then another will be like sucking on hot air. I'm not sure what that is about, and it might have just been the production run on the two tins that I had ordered. I think I'll try it again.

jhguthlac likes this.
  7. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I fell for it last year and smoked a lot of it. After a while the pipes I had used started to taste bad. A thorough cleaning and several smokes with something else fixed them. I am staying away from it for a while, when I go back to it, will use just 1 or 2 pipes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.