Peterson's Sherlock Holmes

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Philip, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philip

Philip Member

Is this tobacco considered an aromatic or an English or somewhere in between?

The reason I ask is because the Peterson website does not classify it as an aromatic, but to me it has an aromatic taste.

Thanks y'all.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Let's call it British in tradition.

Certainly it has an aromatic topping, a distinctly lavender/bergamot sort of thing on top of what is otherwise pretty "tobacco-y" tobacco - virginias, burleys, maybe some perique.

But it's nothing like a Danish aromatic (fruit/vanilla on black cavendish) and it's nothing like an English Mixture (Virginia/Latakia).

3. Scott

Scott Member

Interesting...

4. Marker

Marker Active Member

Bergamot is the flavoring in Earl Grey tea. Sounds appropriate for some type of English tobacco to use that flavoring as well.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

It's a challenging tobacco because it's pretty strong, kind of peppery (actually a little rough even), and it's got this totally light and fluffy topping floating around in the flavors. Certainly interesting. The best bowls of SH are wonderful, and the worst were.... awful. I never quite got my head around the blend, and moved on.

In the same vein, Grey Havens from McClelland, Limerick from Dan, and probably some of the Gawith/Hoggarth offerings.

6. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

As with a number of tobaccos it seem to be best when smoked in a narrow band of temperature and draw strength. Get it too hot and it's a waste of time. Gentle draw and it's quite nice in the evening.

7. foggy mountain

foggy mountain Member

I just tried some on the recommendation of someone on this site and must say I love it.

Mington likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.