Peterson's Tobacco...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BD74, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BD74

BD74 Member

Going to pick up some tobacco over the next few days.

I was wondering what Peterson's I should pick up. The choice here is limited but Peterson's are quite easily available.

I have tried De luxe mixture but found it didn't have much 'ooooomph'...and Connoisseur's Choice was a bit...sweet?!?!?!

Could anyone recommend a Peterson aromatic?

How's Old Dublin for an English? Worth trying or should I save my pennies for some SG?

I know it's kind of a crappy question but to be honest...i don't really know what I am looking for being a noob...

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Well, it's not considered an aromatic, but pick up University Flake if you can. It has 'oomph', and a bit of a berry topping that one could argue is aromatic in nature.

Old Dublin I haven't tried, but I have some laying around...it seems to be well respected.

Oh, and if you want a kick to the head, pick up some Irish Flake.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Old Dublin is a solid choice. It has a nice basma component in a "middle of the road" English mixture.

Sunset Breeze is probably the most popular Peterson Aromatic. No one like De Luxe and Connoisseur's is really sweet and a little hot sometimes.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'm fond of aromatics and three Petersons in particular Sherlock Holmes, Sunset Breeze and Sweet Killarney. Sunset Breeze with its Amaretto scent and flavour is still my favourite.

All of these lose something if smoked outdoors but come into there own inside and all benefit from being taken really slowly. Some reviewers found Sweet Killarney a tongue biter but I have never found it so - as I say the secret with these is to settle down in a relaxed mode and smoke them as slowly as you possibly can,

Best as ever

Gerry

5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've tried two Peterson blends so far - Sherlock Holmes and Irish Oak. Both are light aromatics, and I think both are very good and are best if sipped. I think the Sherlock Holmes makes for a great morning pipe, and I think the Irish Oak is a great evening pipe and makes for a wonderful break from my usual nightly English/Balkan blend. (Warning on the Irish Oak: smoke it on a full stomach because there is a manly dose of Vitamin N in there).

I'd buy the Sherlock Holmes again, but I'm not in a great hurry to do so. However, I'm going to make sure I always have a tin of the Irish Oak on hand because it really knocked my socks off. Both have a very nice and delicate room note, I'd recommend either one to anybody, and I think that they're both well worth the $10 per tin that I paid for them. However, don't be expecting anything sexy or exotic from either one. They're both just very good, solid, smokes that hark back to the days when pipe tobacco was tobacco that was not cured or flavored with exotic ingredients like Steamed Neptunian Corojo Cavendish, White Rhino Sperm, Ugambi Bark Extract, or Thai Snazberry Beetle Tears. (I guess it's true - I am an old codger!) :growl:

Old Dublin is next on my list of Peterson tobies.

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Can I make a side rant? What the hell happened to UF? I'm hearing all this stuff about blueberries, I never got any blueberry from this. Murrays production was all I've had, so maybe K&K did something wierd, but other than some kind of "fruity" note in a really green tin, I never got anything but good (bordering on harsh) brown virginias and burley. Can someone fill me in?

7. ddandb

ddandb Member

I'll second the Irish Flake. I seem to be going through a lot of it latley.

8. primitiveman

primitiveman Member

Old Dublin is excellent tobacco, and well worth a try. I also like Irish Whiskey, Sherlock Holmes I was less impressed with, and Sweet Killarney I found to be a real blowtorch. University Flake is lovely, but too strong for me. Never tried Irish Flake. If I did I'm sure the nicotine content would kill me! Only tried Irish Oak once, but plan to re-visit it. Don't fancy the sound of the others much, as I'm no longer a fan of aromatics.
    Of them all, Old Dublin is the only one I smoke on a regular basis. If you like SG English blends, I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

9. BD74

BD74 Member

Cheers guys!!!

I picked up some Luxury Blend and Old Dublin and I'll give them a shot.

I am quite interested in the flakes but I'm leaving them a while as I am still new to all this and want to stick with the 'basics' if that makes sense.

Just got to finish my other tobaccos as they are getting a bit dry, then I'll be cracking them open and having a go! I still get quite excited when I open up a tin of new tobacco...It's one of the joys of a new hobby.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.