Peterson's University Flake vs. Irish Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mington, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Anyone know the difference between these 2?
    I have (and enjoy) the University Flake/
    Just curious on the difference.
    (I am sure I will buy some Irish soon).
    Thanks in advance.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

University Flake is a pretty "flat" burley based flake with a medium strong blueberry topnote added to it. Fairly strong on nicotine. Irish Flake has no detectable toppings, is much stronger in nicotine, and has a much rounder flavor profile to me - flue cured leaf, kentucky I think, all kinds of strong flavors, but it's punchy - snorked this is like Keen's mustard to me.

Anyway, one's an aromatic, though a macho one, and the other's not, would be the broadest stroke, though you could also say that one is more burley-ish and the other more virginia-ish, but it's Grampa's "dare ya to smoke that, boyo" kinda virginia.

3. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I love Irish Flake... but I haven't tried it since I learnt to snork.

This will be interesting.

4. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i smoke irish daily... basically its some flue cured kentucky and some unholy strong VA, and has a bitter, coffee-esque nose to it, and when i've let people try it 2 of 3 (all three heavy smokers) nearly threw up before finishing the bowl. it is one of my absolute favorite tobaccos, and benefits greatly from a bit of ageing, even a few months.

uni flake is a nicotine strong mildly aromatic vabur, that burns well in small pipes and tastes like nothing in larger ones. it will definitely give you a buzz, but it wont kill you, and can be very bitey if smoked too fast.

so, pretty much what sas said.

5. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I'm a huge fan of University Flake. I love the gentle berry topping, and it will definitely put hair on your chest if you're not careful. I haven't had the balls personally to try Irish Flake yet, but I think I want to get a tin just to try it out when I'm feeling daring. There's some good praise for it here in this thread.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Again learned a lot from this thread - both of these are added to my "must try" list - they both sound fantastic; thanks lads!

Gerry

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Irish Flake is the bomb. Sas and Dubh covered it well. I haven't tried Uni Flake, but now I may just have to. Well, that, and PPP.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Don't let Uni fool you! It does have the potential to be a strong nic-hit! I recall my first few forays with Uni and I had to go lay down for a while before I felt normal again! The entire experience (two of them) made me dislike the toby so much that I tossed it right into the trash! That was many years ago with some 10yr old sealed tin (this experience happened about 5 years ago btw). Looking back, I should have just taken it slow and enjoyed rather than puff my way through the bowl. Stoopid me! Always learning.........

I haven't the "scrot" to even look at a tin if Irish Flake........wimpy I know but I'm not a nic-hound and don't smoke "heavy" 'baccys much at all.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

9. ryan65

ryan65 Member

yah when i first started smoking the irish flake 4 or 5 months ago i too had to put the pipe down for a break but now i just love it and finished my tin, hoping to acquire some more soon.

10. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

I have wanted to try Irish Flake for a while but been a little intimidated, however I don't have any problems smoking one of my favourites G&H Brown Irish Twist which is really strong.

11. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

IMHO the brown rope is stronger, you have nothing (much) to fear.

12. Philthy

Philthy Member

Well if you wouldnt disappear off the face of the earth, but wandered over to yer friendly (somewhat local) B&M on a Saturday evening ya might locate some. :whistle: as well as that stinkin' tin of Squadron Leader I been holdin onto fer ya. :startle:

13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Phil I dare you to load that rustic right to the rim with Uni and let 'er rip. My guess is you'd die after 78 minutes. Maybe we can do an over/under??

14. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

speaking of comically large bowls of nicotine heavy tobaccos... that bent billy does GREAT with IF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.