1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson's University Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by Bman64, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bman64

Bman64 Member

Just finished a tin (50 gm) which my better 1/2 picked out for me-btw, it was a good move to get her involved in my "hobby" from the beginning (she loved Dunhillmanuk 's videos- as she is now all about supporting our overly expensive B&M. I prefer the most bang for my buck, so I like to use Internet vendors.

Alas though, I do digress.

Same tin as Dunhill Flake and OGS dimensionally, nice bluish colors (I am soooo color-blind it's not funny)
    Very nice presentation, fragrantly scented properly cut flakes, dark brown, fresh hayish scent with burley overtones and what the German blenders label as pfluame- which smells of a non-distinct berry to me.
    I must admit I didn't read the tin till I was 1/2 way thru it, so I was trying to categorize it as a Vaper but couldn't understand where the spice was....cuz it was burley w/Vas, no Perique.
    As I got 1/2 through the tin (8 flakes?),my palate opened up [for lack of a better analogy] and I experienced sweetness and .... burleyness, which I surmise equates to coolness in the bowl. My only other Burley has been Granger-which I have only used to mix with a bland Westminster (Sutliffe) to no avail. [even Penzance couldn't save that blend from obscurity].
    It is a Virginia, or a VaBur? Don't know, but I hope to enjoy that smoke again.

Explorer352, zack and WrightwoodJohn like this.

2. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

I really like University flake, but I don't really like flakes! lol I usually rub it all out and keep it in a mason jar. It ages pretty well that way, I feel.

Professor and Smokingmiami like this.
  3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Good review. Love me some UF.

User5642 and Coda like this.
  4. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

so is there a hint of a aroma to this blend ? the OP mentioned a berry smell

5. Capt

Capt Active Member

It's kinda like a ripe, fruity aroma.

David Emond likes this.
  6. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hmm i guess Someone over at peterson likes fruits hehe.

7. Bman64

Bman64 Member

I have had nothing but tongue bite with flakes left in flake form. From a purely physical perspective, it seems to me that the less available surface area would decrease burn speed, thereby heating trapped water, muddling smoke and taste, replacing those positive qualities with an unwanted byproduct.....heat :(
    However, I never break down a flake until prior to its demise, to as to retain the flavors trapped inside those compressed, bonded molecules until freedom comes in the combustion over an ever increases surface area....
    .....but that's just my take, FWIW
    Bman

8. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

University Flake is one of my favourite fold and stuff flakes. Although these days that's how I prefer all flakes. I had some 1792 today, bulk, broken flakes. I ended folding and stuffing that after loosely reconstructing a flake. But, I do like playing with tobacco. :)

User5642 likes this.
  9. Bman64

Bman64 Member

That's on my wish list, 1792. Unsure if I'm mature enough of palate to appreciate it.... did a tin of Dunhill Flake and didn't really appreciate the pure Va flavors. Thanks!

10. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

You will not have that problem with 1792. I got some of that within a month of starting the pipe and had my first Nirvana smoke with it.

11. Professor

Professor Active Member

Wow! That was poetry! :)

12. Bman64

Bman64 Member

"Thank you, thank you very much" [in my best Elvis voice]

Professor likes this.
  13. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Just to make sure, I have just stuffed a flake of UF into my Pete and lit it up. Yep, it's still as good as ever. Danged good.

Perhaps it's my imagination but all flakes seem to taste better now that I've gotten into the fold and stuff method. It seems to make a real if subtle difference.

14. Bman64

Bman64 Member

Can't appreciate that method, perhaps I haven't let the flakes sufficiently dry, just too hot for me....tasty stuff, eh?

15. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

It took me a while to get it right. Those short Erimore flakes were the first ones I was successful with, after that the bigger ones got easy. I have to light more often, work a bit more to make it burn right but I think I get more of the tobacco flavours when I do it that way. And, once you get it down it is a quick easy load.

I don't know if there is a real difference in taste or if that is a totally subjective thing. I think it smokes cooler stuffed rather than rubbed out. Happily, there aren't always 'correct' answers to these things.

16. AmeriMick

AmeriMick Member

Great flake. Love all (well most flakes).

Fold em up, rub em out, cut em up whatever. Doesn't seem to matter. They're tasty morsels of tobacco goodness for my soul.

Bman64 and Bradabelko4 like this.
  17. hansel

hansel Member

i would say UF burns hotter folded my self, but it seems to retain its flavor better IF i dont puff to quick
    which can be a problem for me cause im a heavy puffer.
    but all in all this is my favorite tinned tobacco so far.

David Emond likes this.
  18. mongo

mongo Active Member

Sorry all for dredging up a zombie thread.... but rather than start a new one, thought I'd add my Virginial opinion on this particular flake.

I recently purchased a tin of this a couple of weeks ago from my so far favorite B&M: Bull and Bear in St. Charles Illinois. I've been curious about this one having tried and enjoyed both Peterson Irish Flake and Peterson Perfect Plug. I have to say.... this is just as enjoyable as those two, in a slightly different way.

Granted.... ONE flake thus far, smoked in far less than desirable conditions.... outside, around 40 degrees, and light misting rain. I was protected from the elements of course.... but still, would have rather been inside or enjoying a nice summer night outside.... as far as smoking conditions go. Even in this environment, I was amazed at the tastes I was getting.

My best description of this flake is this: it tastes like Peterson Irish Flake without the left hook Nic hit. Very smooth and full flavored, I don't have all the flowery descriptive words that a professional reviewer would, but it certainly gets the coveted Mongo seal of approval. I consider this having a permanent place in my selection of pipe tobaccos that I enjoy. I plan on visiting a local cigar lounge to get a nice slow indoor smoke, so I can enjoy it even more.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    browny likes this.
  19. mongo

mongo Active Member

wow.... there is some kind of weird auto-correct that changes v i r g i n a l to Virginial!

Grumpynuts and User5642 like this.
  20. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Just finished a tin of this. Not bad, but I prefer Irish Flake or Dunhill Flake, I dunno, just seems to lack something for me, perhaps the nic hit. I agree on the fold and stuff method, much more flavor IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.