PG Free, Uncased Burley

Discussion in 'Blending' started by DMWyatt, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Are there currently any places, other than C&D, to find Burley that is PG free and uncased... or is this something I'm going to have to grow for myself? I'm finding an extreme sensitivity to PG, to the point where my daily smoke (PA) even becomes troublesome throughout the day. I'm hoping to find something that's simple, unrefined, and on the harsh side for most pipe smokers; since that's where my tastes tend to lie. I love C&D Burley, but it's simply too heavy and too costly for an all-day smoke.

2. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

beaupipe likes this.
  3. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Agree on the low-cost, excellent value C&D Burleys. A little more expensive, but also PG-free (at least, I think they are based on smoking them) are the fine store brand Burleys from Peretti's in Boston. I haven't smoked any Uhle's tobacco, but from all my reading, I suspect they are at least the equal of Peretti's in terms of quality and PG-free-ness.

4. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

I've smoked some Uhle's 00 (thanks to Johnny) and I don't know if it's cased -- it's good stuff, but it's definitely not strong or harsh. My vote still goes to C&D Dark Burley. I smoke it every day and have almost three pounds in my cellar but wish I had more.

5. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I may try the Dark Burley. That doesn't add up to be much more than a tub of PA locally.

6. Baccyman

Baccyman Member

Log onto Fair Trade Tobacco forum and search for a guy named "BigBonner" He is a Kentucky tobacco farmer that sells whole leaf. I think he sells his Burley for about $15.00/pound. You will need to shred it but that can esily be dome with a knife or a pasta cutter using the angel hair roller. Also, try Whole Leaf Tobacco. They have Burley, Latakia and several different Virginia's (Red, Lemon etc) as well as Turkish... all whole leaf!. Their prices are similar to BigBonner's

BTW, once you remove the stems, the weight of your 16 ounces of tobacco leaf will be about 12 ounces.

Edit: Not to get in a pissing match with anyone but "LeafOnly" sells the lowest, crapiest grade of leaf there is. Just my opinion mind you..:)

LaphroaignSlip likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.