Take 15% off Cigar Gifts! Use Promo Code: GIFT15 at cart

Pics of your Meerschaums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lidon

@Mike Pomery Is that red marbling a factory effect or was it your doing? :)

@Lidon How large is that bowl, it looks huge? Paykoc meers get a bad rep here, how is it smoking for you?
It is a pretty large bowl, not sure the exact size off hand, as far as how it smokes ...I haven't had any issues ,but it is my first and only Meer (for now anyways) and so I don't really have anything to compare it to.

Well I have a relatively cheap one too and I think there is a decent chance of a cheap meer being a good smoker. The airway on my meer is probably smaller than it should be - but the pipe never gurgles, never smokes wet and never heats up. Actually I have the same experience with my cheap briar. So I've either been lucky or the smoker and his habits are more important than the pipe itself.

On a semi related note I've discovered that I don't like bowls that are too deep. My meer's bowl is so deep that its impractical to set the tobacco alight when I pack in half a bowl - something I do because I can't smoke for an hour-hour and a half that it takes to go through the whole bowl. And if I smoke a flake in it that takes forever.
And it makes the pipe heavier.

So I've come to the realization that smaller pipes, light pipes (for clenching) and small bowls are for me.

Mike Pomery

On a semi related note I've discovered that I don't like bowls that are too deep. My meer's bowl is so deep that its impractical to set the tobacco alight when I pack in half a bowl - something I do because I can't smoke for an hour-hour and a half that it takes to go through the whole bowl. And if I smoke a flake in it that takes forever.
And it makes the pipe heavier.

So I've come to the realization that smaller pipes, light pipes (for clenching) and small bowls are for me.
You should not be afraid to set a half-smoked pipe aside and return to it later. Pipes can taste even better with certain blends upon resting, once you overcome the first few stale puffs.

haikucub

here's my modest collection. on the left, from top to bottom: kiko (with the most interesting grain i've ever seen on a meer - looks like wood); peterson ca. 1916; altinok (not easy to see here, but beginning to color nicely); belgian no-name meer-lined; italian made no-name meer-lined; kilamanjaro meer-lined. on the right, from top to bottom: p. mercier; barling; kiko; barling; barling; pioneer; manxman

Status
Not open for further replies.