1. Sales and advertising are not allowed in this section. This forum is for discussing pipe making only.

If a pipe or item is for sale, or potentially for sale, do not post it in this forum section.

Dismiss Notice

pipe carver's block

Discussion in 'Pipe Making Forums' started by Dogman, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dogman

Dogman Member

So I thought it would be fun to carve my own pipe so I bought on of those kits from P&C.. It came in and looks exactly like its supposed to. Drill looks nearly perfect. Now I can't decide what I want to make? How do you guys decide what shape to make? Should I just start on it and see what comes out? Should I plan it out? I guess I should have given that a little more more thought. If it sits there looking at me too much longer, I might just start smoking a big block of wood... I guess I'm just needing some inspiration. What say the masters?

p120d16y and Bobby Stubbs like this.

2. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

You may have better skills than I did on my first. Lord knows my skills were nearly non existent. I was happy that it ended up somewhat pipe looking.

3. Dogman

Dogman Member

Trying to post a pic, but the combination of photo bucket and my android phone makes me think Forrest Gump has a better chance of making it work.

4. Dogman

Dogman Member

sorry y'all, I've posted all 4 links from the photobucket page and none of them make the picture appear

5. DGErwin11

Are you using the photo bucket app? As I recall that was the only way I could do it with my phone.

6. Dogman

Dogman Member

Finally, thanks Doug. Here's what I'm working with.

[​IMG]

Its always worked before, don't know why they have to go messing with what works. If it ain't broke, don't Effing fix it!

bubbagump, jdto and dBear like this.
  7. DGErwin11

Good luck with that
    Has anyone explained the difference between a pipe smoker and a pipe maker?
    The pipe smoker can quit.

Cory West, jdto, MikeInMaine and 3 others like this.
  8. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

I usually start by drawing a basic shape of what I had in mind on the side of the block. But be open to make changes. I've started out to make a Dublin and ended up with a Brandy, just because I chased a sand pit.
    What tools do you have to work with?

9. Dogman

Dogman Member

I have a jigsaw and some old files (rasps) and plenty of time.

10. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

If the block will fit in the jigsaw, cut as much excess off and still leave yourself 1/4" border. Then the fun begins. If you have a bench vise, get a length of wood dowel rod the size of the bowl (probably 3/4") clamp the rod in the vise and push the bowl of the pipe down over the rod. This gives you both hands to work the rasp/file. Then have fun! After awhile the dowel rod will compress and the pipe wont be tight on the rod. When this happens just use an old clean cotton or flannel cloth and lay over the end of the rod and push the pipe on over that. Judge for snugness and adjust how much cloth you need as you go. After that just knock off any wood that doesn't look like a pipe, then you have it!

bosun, dBear, mecompco and 1 other person like this.
  11. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

First...define the center lines for bowl and draft, then mark out the outer limits of these. Do this on side, top and front. Then determine what shape(s) will fit around these limits....leave a bit of wiggle-room here. Once you find something that fits...and that you like...cut away the excess with your saw. Cut the shank from top & bottom, then the sides. THEN cut what you can of the bowl outline. From then on, it's all about rasps, files, sand paper and elbow grease. When final shaping the shank/stem area, keep the stem in place, otherwise you will round over the juncture. Have fun.

dBear, Dogman and Basil Meadows like this.
  12. RodneyWT1180B

RodneyWT1180B Member

Good tips above on how to do it. I'd keep the shape simple. Aim for something along the lines of a bent billiard or maybe dublin style bowl.
    Rodney

13. Dogman

Dogman Member

exactly, I'm aiming for something that resembles a pipe, lol. I'm all function over form at this point.

Hoxlor likes this.
  14. Dogman

Dogman Member

Update - I cut off excess around the shank and worked on it a little with my Rasps. Picked and poked off a lot of blackish stuff to reveal the pattern on one side. i'd like to keep it, but I don't know if I can work it into the shape
    [​IMG]

another view

[​IMG]

p120d16y likes this.
  15. DGErwin11

Keep at it. The first one is lots of fun. Life would be easier for you if you bought a cheap coping saw. Files and rasps will kill you.

16. Dogman

Dogman Member

Yeah, a power sander too.

17. Dogman

Dogman Member

[​IMG] i think its starting to look like "something".

18. DGErwin11

You should put the stem back on. That way when you shape it the stem and shank will match like it is one piece. And it is looking like a pipe. :th1:

Dottle_Dan and Basil Meadows like this.
  19. halpuff

halpuff Member

You initially asked about inspiration and how does it come about.
    When I don't have anything in mind I will trace the block on several pieces of typing paper and while watching TV I will sit with my lap desk, a pencil, and a stack of my tracings and just begin by roughly sketching within the tracing whatever comes to mind. Sometimes I will just start sketching even with nothing particular in mind. Then suddenly....things will begin to happen with your sketches. You will find one aspect of one sketch that you DO like and other aspects of other sketches that you like and begin bringing them together into one sketch.
    What amazes me is that once I begin pondering a shape for a particular block, my minds subconscious seems to take over and I find my self subconsciously working on a design even when I'm preoccupied with other things.
    Even at night when trying to sleep, my mind will be working out the details of a shape. Sometimes, suddenly I will awaken....jump out of bed...go find my tracings and hurry to get an idea on paper that suddenly popped in my head while in bed. It seems sometimes my mind does it best work when I'm sleeping on it.
    Nature is also a great source for pipe shapes. I find myself studying and being more aware of shapes in nature that I was prior to pipe making.

Good Luck!
    Halpuff

p120d16y, RodneyWT1180B and Dogman like this.
  20. s2srea

s2srea Member

Dogman, please continue to post updates! Very inspirational!

Bobby Stubbs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.