1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pipe cleaning

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Archi77, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archi77

Archi77 Member

I've searched a few times on the threads, and get mixed results for answers... easier to just post my question directly.

With regards to estate pipes, I see lots of talk about cleaning pipes... salt and alcohol, PC and everclear, etc. Even some talk about buffing the outside of the bowl, etc. But does anyone do anything special to the bit? (Hope that's the right terminology...) In this day and age of communicable diseases and such, is it pertinent to clean, or even sterilize, the bit of a used pipe before using it yourself? And if so, how do you go about doing so without ruining the integrity of the pipe or the flavor of future smokes?

2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

For sanitizing a stem, a simple wipe down with a little vodka or everclear usually does it for me. I think that if it's a dry environment not many microbes will survive, so I don't worry about it too much. Many times an estate pipe will have an oxidised stem that needs some attention anyway, and that's a different chapter, but if it looks good, an alcohol wipe down and cleaner through it, and it's off to the races!

3. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

If the pipe is in near-new, sparkling condition, then just a light exterior wipe and a pipecleaner pass-through should suffice. If the pipe is less than pristine, and you don't want to taste or smell the previous owners choice of tobacco, some if not all of the procedures you referenced should be employed before putting that thing in your mouth.

Archi77 likes this.
  4. Archi77

Archi77 Member

Excellant. There's never a shortage of Everclear around here, so that'll work nicely...

5. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Just be careful to keep it inside the pipe, it will strip many finishes off the exterior of a bowl.:th1:

Archi77 likes this.
  6. SthrnMan

SthrnMan Member

I run a PC dipped in vodka through all my pipes. Estate pipes get the S&A treatment and the stems get a vodka scrub.

Archi77 likes this.
  7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I buy new pipes and don't have this issue, but I still wipe off the stem with an alcohol prep pad before use... :beck:

Archi77 likes this.
  8. holymolar

holymolar Member

If you're concerned about picking up other people's bugs from the stem, you can do a bleach treatment yourself or an ozone treatment with Walker Briar Works. Use the search area at the top of this forum for more information.

Archi77 likes this.
  9. Archi77

Archi77 Member

It's not really a "buy" issue... I was gifted a few pipes from someone. The question was more of a thought-process question, not an actual issue at the moment.

DeusExMachina likes this.
  10. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

If you are interested in learning how to restore them yourself, I learned most of my pipe restorations from Steve Laug. He has a blog that shows all the steps, etc. I have a few restorations in there myself, under "Upshallfan"

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/about/

Archi77 likes this.
  11. Archi77

Archi77 Member

Thanks, Riff Raff - I might try that. For now, I'm concentrating on learning to SMOKE a pipe... once I get that somewhat under control, I'll think about restoring them, too!

Jussto and dBear like this.
  12. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Archi77 likes this.
  13. homebrewer

homebrewer Member

14. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

Well enjoy the learning process and be patient, feel free to ask a lot of questions.

Archi77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.