1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pipe collecting

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Greatwall, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

So I am really into the collecting aspect of pipe smoking and I am looking for some good reference material for which pipes I should be looking for. I will always be looking at and buying pipes I like but I have no idea which pipes I should be looking for in a collectors aspect. I also love book and I was hoping to find a book that I can reference so I am hoping that one of the many wise sages here can point me at a book with great pictures and info on pipes past and present.

2. furious

furious Junque collector

Well, that is a toughie as most resources that are presently available are catalog reprints from some the major manufacturers. Aside from that, two of the best online resources are pipephil and chris' pipe pages. Google them and enjoy!!

Spillproof likes this.
  3. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Furious is humble about it, but he knows his collectible pipes better than most.

If you are interested in collecting pipes that retain a high resale value and can be reliably (obsessively even) dated, you are most likely going end up chasing classic English pipes (i.e., Dunhill, Barling, Sasieni). The world of artisan pipes is an ever-growing one, and there are many carvers that can out-pipe Dunhill, but "high end" artisan carvers make Dunhill's prices look downright affordable.

What is the goal of your collection? Smokers? Resale Value?
    As far as investment goes, you'd be better off with an IRA.

4. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

Not looking for investment but more pride of ownership. Being new to pipes I don't know what I should be looking for and I would really love to have a book with color photos and info on pipes I can read and drool over while I am enjoying a pipe in my hand.

5. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

The interweb tubes, and the folks here at PSF, provide about as much info on pipes as you'll find. The references that Furious provided are excellent ones. Pipedia is another great resource for learning more about each maker, and finding a few examples of their work.

Pride of ownership is a tricky one, and is fairly subjective.
    I pride my best smokers over my most valuable; some are both.

Mount Mandolin and furious like this.
  6. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I like Neill Archer Roan's page: http://www.apassionforpipes.com/

Really neat stuff on there, but could give your wallet a heart attack if you look too long.

I know a lot of folks who collect tend to focus on one brand or one shape, and sometimes both. I think there are a couple of rather formidable collections of Castello 55's out there, for instance. Pipe collecting, from what I can gather, is an expensive thing to do, but it can be rewarding as all get out, I'm sure. And hey, it's cheaper than collecting cars, ya know.

7. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

8. conroygc

conroygc Member

Maybe you're interested in buying "tomorrow's antiques"? By that I mean the wonderful high quality artisan pipes that are currently being produced that will be worth oodles of money in the future (maybe). Check out tobaccopipecollectors.com for a small list of really awesome artisan pipe makers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.