1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pipe collection refresh

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nowsharing, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

As I said in another thread, I'm currently living in Brazil, but will be returning home to the US in July. My wife is in the final waiting stage of a full-ride PhD scholarship, which, if it comes through, means that I will be home for 5+ years and we'll both be in the graduate program at UW-Madison.

I'm free (unless a job comes up in the mean time) until I get back, which means that I've spent a little too much time buying online lately. I set out to refresh my collection with 10 new estate pipes (I had four up until now), and ended up with 13. I've also commissioned one, but I won't reveal the details until that until I see it myself.

I posted pictures of 4 of them in this thread; here are the others:

Unsmoked Brebbia Lectura
    [​IMG]

NOS Chacom Premier 33
    [​IMG]

Dr. Grabow Freehand
    [​IMG]

SMS Meerschaum by Omer Ikibas
    [​IMG]

2. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

Kaywoodie
    [​IMG]

Medico Silversmith
    [​IMG]

Nizza "De Luxe" by Jean Lacroix
    [​IMG]

Sven Lar "Skulptur" by Michael Kabik. From one of his trademark sets (without the matching stand unfortunately).
    [​IMG]

Dr Grabow Viscount
    [​IMG]

If I could go back in time, I wouldn't have bought the Medico, Viscount, or Kaywoodie. They have their charm though, and we'll see how they clean up. I have Brebbia Stem polish, Halcyon II wax, and a set micro-mesh pads on order to get them all back in order.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

part of a very nice collection and featuring some unusual pipes - thanks very much for sharing.

Why wouldn't you buy the ones you mentioned - smokeability? not in the chosen theme? Too common a maker?

The silversmith one is a beauty - did it come from the makers like that, do you reckon or was the silver added afterwards by a craftsman?

Of them all though the one I personally like best is the rusticated Dublin in the second shot.

Enjoy the collection in good health for many years to come!

Best to all

Gerry

nowsharing likes this.
  4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's a fantastic collection and the Silversmith is a real eye-popper! Thanks for sharing them with us and making me envious!

nowsharing likes this.
  5. Beale

Beale Active Member

Very nice selection of pipes! I love the Brebbia Lectura! Good work, Beale.

nowsharing likes this.
  6. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the pics.

Those were the first pipes that I bought in my quest, and I'm just not looking forward to them in the same way as the others. Maybe it's because they're a lot smaller or look machine made--I'm not completely sure. Whatever the case, I'll clean them up and give them their due shot. The little devil on my shoulder wants to have a churchwarden stem made for the Viscount but I'll have to see how it smokes first.

From what I've read, the Medicos with the sterling overlays were the top of their offerings at one point. There are a variety of motifs, which always look to me like the arts and crafts style.

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I concur, that Medico is outstanding!
    Nice collection you have, and thanks
    for posting for us. BTW, you have to
    send me that Elizabethan as it is hazardous
    to your health, and I will dispose of it
    for you. ;)

dp

nowsharing likes this.
  8. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Nice! Don't dis the Grabows, Katwoodie or Medico. They may be factory pipes, but I think you will find they are great smokers. I have a Dragon from SMS...mine is a Salim carved pipe....sweet! The others look to be fine pipes too....congratulations!

nowsharing likes this.
  9. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

That SMS dragon of mine...
    [​IMG]

nowsharing likes this.
  10. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

That looks awesome t-bear. I hope mine turns out to be as nice.

Oh no, I could never let you carry the burden. Thanks for the kind offer though ;)

To everyone who likes the Medico; keep an eye on Ebay. I paid $0.99 for mine and I saw another that closed for about $10 the next day (in significantly better condition). Here's the link: https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7829-1-medico-silversmith/

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I love the kaywoodie ! Nice pipes man

nowsharing likes this.
  12. telltime

telltime Active Member

Nice Chacom. The first pipe (besides a cob) that I ever actually purchased was a Chacom... aaahhh, memories.

nowsharing likes this.
  13. ichabod

ichabod Member

That Dr Grabow Viscount is really nice! Nice collection you have going! :thumbsu:

nowsharing likes this.
  14. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

Thanks, I hope to forge good memories with mine as well. There is an interesting set of videos showing the Chacom manufacturing process on youtube here. It's a good watch.

Thank you sir.

Thanks!

I added one more pipe tonight, a King Size Savinelli 121:
    [​IMG]

15. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

You're going all out with this collecting thing, aren't you?!?
    :groucho:

nowsharing likes this.
  16. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

Yeah, I meant to be done a few pipes back but...

Unless a nice bulldog or rhodesian (why don't we just call them bulldesians?) turns up, I think that I'm actually finished buying pipes for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.