Pipe fiascos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deckard

Have any of you just gotten a bad pipe? One that just didn't do it for you, failed to live up to expectations, had an irreparable flaw, or failed catastrophically in some way?

I was just thinking about this while smoking my Bj bent billiard. It's a good pipe, but only when I remember its faults. I have to smoke very slowly and make sure not to draw too hard. When I first got it it smoked very wet and I had a hell of a time passing a pipe cleaner through it. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I have two other pipes from that line and they couldn't smoke better. I finally figured it out when I took the bore light from my gun cleaning kit and shone it down the draft hole. It looks like the briar had a pit that was drilled into while the draft hole was being cut. There's no outward sign of it and the pipe maker can't be blamed for missing it, but the thing collects condensation like nobody's business if I'm not careful. A slight disappointment, but I persevere.

Falconeer

Too many to mention over the years, but brutal surgery saved some.

I've posted about the one I bought last year that had the uncanny ability to draw massive ammonts of moisture out of thin air and that I'm convinced was an Alien Desert Survival Device and thankfully they took it back.

My first Barling African meer) nearly put me off of the idea af smoking a meerschaum for ever - it drew very badly, tended to gum up and was a gurgler; I'd actually got to the point of binning it or gifting it to someone unsuspecting when I decided to do some research.

I found that Barling's theory was that a narrower bore produced a better smoking pipe - a theory with which I profoundly disagree. I dug out Sasquatch's old post with sketch on ramping and set to with a doubled over pipe cleaner soaked in whisky used like a file until I got the thing opened out.
Solved the problem, led to purchase of more meers and the rest is history!

Gerry

Sasquatch

Wizzard
I've been pretty lucky - all the pipes I've bought have been pretty good briar and cut pretty well. The issues I've had have all been more to do with pipes having poor balance, or a stem shape that didn't fit my teeth well, or some physical thing like that. There have been a few small mechanical issues that I've had to deal with on certain pipes, usually full bents.

Status
Not open for further replies.