Pipe Filter.

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by PipeLotus, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Hello all! I got into pipe smoking about a week or two ago. I did some research before hand, so I have a rather basic idea of how to pack, light, tamper, etc. etc. I'm currently using a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke. I smoke Sir Walter out of it.

My question pertains to the pipe filter. The one you see sticking out of the stem when you pull it apart from the bowl. I clean my pipe stem after each use, and run a pipe cleaner through it several times. In my research I never once saw anything dealing with Pipe filters. Ive noticed my 'Duke has a pretty nasty filter as of late. Tobacco strands sticking out, and that kind of thing. Is this normal? Is there a 'shelf-life on a filter? Finally, should I be expected to replace a filter after years of smoking?

Thanks for any and all help!

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I'm not a big fan of filters, but if it starts looking nasty I'd change it... I would say after a few bowls a paper filter should be changed, more ofter if the toby you smoke is real goopy. I have a Savinelli that uses a Balsa wood filter and I change it after a few bowls. Hope this helps, but I'm sure some of the others will have as good or better advice than myself.

3. snowman

snowman Member

I will not smoke a pipe with a filter,If the pipe comes with a filter it goes in the trash.But thats just me.

Alan.

4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

No filters for me either. They get nasty quick, are a hassle, and reduce flavor IMHO.

5. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Ditch the filter now. But if yo like the way it smokes with the filter, go back to where you bought the pipe and buy a box of filters. You get 10/box for a dollar or so.

6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'd agree with the guys above. At least give it a try without a filter, and if you prefer it with, change it frequently. Nothing worse than a funky pipe to ruin a good bowl of tabac.

I have been known to use a filter in certain circumstances, but for the most part I prefer a pipe without one. You really do lose some of the flavor with one in place.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Herb

7. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Well! Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm now utterly fascinated to try out a filterless pipe. Is it safe to remove the filter from the 'Duke entirely? Or is it built into the stem/shaft?

Will have to do some experimentation next time I light up.

8. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

107.32% in agreement with the dump-the-filter sentiment. You'll be happier without it. The pipe may well even smoke better that way. Stride forward!

9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Bloody iPod!

10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I admit my ignorance as to the construction of a Grabow Duke, but doesn't it just have the standard paper filter that slides into the tenon? If so removal should be a breeze (by the way, were you passing a cleaner through the filter? Wow!). The draw might open up a bit without a filter, but it's still smokable that way. I've smoked many a cob with no filter in place, and they're fine.

11. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Oops, well, I just pulled out the 'Duke, and sure enough it slides right out!

In regards to cleaning, yes I was. For 'cleaning' I just run the pipe cleaner through the stem a few times. Is that bad? Its a rather wide paper filter. On a related note, I'm letting the ashes 'cake' the bottom of the bowl. As I understand this helps a good Briar pipe smoke better. Should I be cleaning the bowl as well? (Obviously I dump the excess ashes out after smoking, and I blow through the stem to get any other loose ash out.)

Thanks again for all the help, you guys are great. :)

12. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

There are many opinions on this... but, I was taught by some old timers to run a pipe cleaner through the stem after each smoke. I keep on until they come out clean. Some blends 1 cleaner & others take 3-4. I don't take the stem off, just put it through to the opening in the bowl. I'm also careful not to hit the opposite side of the bowl.

I don't clean the bowls on my new pipes until they have a cake built up the thickness of a dime. Once they hit that mark, I bend the pipe cleaner I just used on the stem in half and gently swab the sides of the bowl to remove the grey ash. Give the bowl a little upside down tap on a cork and it's good to go.

Once every great while, or if a pipe gets a little funky, I'll use the "extra fluffy" pipe cleaners dipped in a some vodka to clean the stems. I disassemble for this. Again, I swab until clean and then use a dry cleaner to mop up any moisture. Let the pipe dry for a couple of days before using again. Most of my pipes get this about once every 2-3 months.

This has kept my pipes smoking sweet!

13. DGErwin11

There is only one hard and fast rule that MUST be adhered to: Pipe smoking is all about personal preference.

I can tell you what works for me. I have one Grabow that smokes decently. With a Grabow you basically have 3 choices. 1) Smoke with a filter. 2) Smoke without a filter. 3) Modify. Let me expand. With any filter pipe, smoking without the filter makes for a very wide open draw, which I do not like. Also this Omega has a deep aluminum mortise that the stem fits into. A personal quirk of mine is that I do not think the smoke should ever come in contact with metal. This also applies to pipes with stingers. The work around for this was to buy a Savinelli 6mm converter tube. This fits into the space where the paper filter would go and narrows down the draw similar to an unfiltered pipe and it also makes an air way that avoids the metal mortise. Works very good for me.

If you end up trying cobs like most of us do (check my avatar) this suggestions will work for them. An additional choice for cobs is to buy a Forever Stem, which I think is the way to go if you plan on including a cob or 2 or 3 or.... into your pipe rotation.

14. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Change the filter after 3 bowls. I toss em out if the pipe im buying has it

15. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

The converter tubes work well too. My local shop gave me a small handful, so
    I use them in my cobs as well as my filtered Savs, though as I say, I'm usually ok with or without the tubes.

16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I have a new Savinelli which came with their common 6mm balsa wood filters. I have decided for no particular reason to use the filters until I've smoked through about ten of them. I change them after every one or two smokes, and am about halfway there. Once I smoked it without a filter for about a third of a bowl and without the converter tube, and it was just fine. I didn't notice a huge difference in the draw, but there was a difference. So far I enjoy the filters, but while it's not as drastic a difference as you see in fibrous cigarette filters the balsa inserts DO cause some loss of flavor and strength. This is an unavoidable side effect of filtration.

I suppose the main reason I'm currently sticking with the filters is to provide a more comfortable smoke (supposedly, anyway) while I get a good 15-20 smokes in and getting a cake started before smoking sans filter. I've just always adhered to the whole "it's obviously better without a filter" philosophy, so I'm starting out with filters for some time. Then I plan to smoke it without a filter for a while, trying both with and without the converter. Later, after being familiarized with how it smokes without a filter, I'll try the filter some more.

My guess is I really will like it better with the converter, but to be honest I am enjoying the hell out of this pipe even with filters in. Guess we'll see, yeah? I've tried paper filters in my cobs, and they're okay. I don't notice a big difference between smoking with or without it, though, even in terms of draw. If I want a slightly more restricted draw I'll fold a small length of cleaner into a U shape and stick that in place of a filter. It does a better job of filtering anyway, to be honest. Picked up that tip here...

Moral of the story, everyone on PSF has different, sometimes conflicting, opinions, practices, and advice. Try out different things guided by what appeals to you, and you'll eventually find what works well for you. Enjoy the process :puffy:

17. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Whew! Thanks for all the replies and knowledge! On the subject of Cobs, I just purchased one. I had heard so many good things about MM, that I decided to stop by my local shop and pick up the pipe with some more pipe cleaners. When I got back, I decided to check the forums and was suprised to come across a thread dealing with the loss of 5 pipes (!). Being fairly new, I had a few additional questions, but am not sure if I should start a new thread for them. Can I post them here?

I have yet to smoke out of the cob, but I look forward to it later tonight.

Now, back to filters! I decided to remove the filter entirely (it was getting pretty filthy.) I immediately noticed the bigger 'draw' as you folks call it. I'm getting much more smoke, which I quite enjoy, so this is actually a bonus for me. I can also taste a bit more of the tobacco. Its hard to describe, but it seems more 'flavorful' for lack of a better term. So, I wanted to thank everyone for their great advice! It hadn't occured to me that the filter could be removed, and I plan to do the same with my new cob. On the other hand, it turns out my small smoke-shop carries filters, so if I wanted to go that route I could. Thanks once more for the wise words. :)

18. DGErwin11

Sharing knowledge and experience is what is so fun about these forums. Enjoy

19. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Good to see that you experienced filtered/non-filtered and came upon your own conclusion. Sometimes, people read stuff online, and take it as "this is the only way to do things". With pipe smoking, I've found you've gotta do different things, and see what works for you. Sometimes, it coincides with what everyone else is doing, but sometimes it doesn't...and that's OK!

20. DGErwin11

Pipe smoking is an activity that best exemplifies the individual. We each have to evaluate the shared knowledge of others and pick what works for us. According to somebody each one of us on these forums is an "environmental" smoker in some aspect of this hobby. You know what that is don't you? Green as grass and dumb as dirt.

1stGenRex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.