Pipe Gripes - B&M edition

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by LifeOfRiley, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craig

craig Active Member

thats exactly what im saying, its us providing their wages and putting food on their table so it would be nice if they could show some appreciation and learn up a little or employ someone who knows their stuff

2. Elliottws

Elliottws Member

cheap labor more profit. What is to motovate the employee (non pipe person) do do better at thier job.

3. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

I worked at an Auto Parts store for a few years. It was a chain store that hired a lot of young kids. Most just wanted a paycheck and didn't know a headlight from a muffler. I did encounter a few that had a decent work ethic and were trying to learn. Those I was often able to teach to talk to the customer not at them. The rest were a waste of my time. One thing I liked about the company was that I didn't have to pretend when I didn't know something. The boss was always eager to step in and help out.

4. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

It's a tough situation cause I do want to support the local guy. The shop is a bit cigar centric, still the gentleman who works there is very much a pipe guy and knowledgable. But the fact of the matter is that anything I buy there is at a minimum twice what I could get it for on-line. So really it's kinda simple economics, still I try to get over there every month or so and buy a tin.

5. Tate

Tate Member

This is not a phenom in just pipe smoking. I have long been a member of several "subcultures" or "niche communities". Sailing/Pipe Smoking/Motorcycling/Autocross/Trekking/Whitewater etc. In each community you find people who define themselves by their hobby. After a time they seem to start to see their "circle" as the subculture and look upon outsiders with snobbish tendencies or outright disdain rather than inviting all comers in. Now I'm no shrink, so I won't venture to understand why this is, but I've seen it across many different interest groups.

You're also spot on with your description of the pipe store with a customer base that seems to have become part of the furniture. Before I moved to New Orleans there was a B&M literally within walking distance. I ventured there about once a week and spent copious money in their store. It took 4 months for the owners to acknowledge me as a person, but once they did, they went above and out of their way for me multiple times. Treated me like family. I never wormed my way into the hearts of the "regulars". Although one day I went into the shop and a fellow was sitting there and struck up a conversation with me as I was considering some tobacco. He handed me a tin of Dunhill London Mixture and encouraged me to try it. Just gave it to me. I'd never met him. One of the nicest folks I've ever met. So two points:

1) Ignore the crappy people; It will all be worth it to meet that one great friend in that circle.
    2) Once you do penetrate the inner circle of the community (earn your keep), their absolute disdain/disgust will turn into zealous loyalty.

dmkerr likes this.
  6. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

This has also made me grateful for the friendly atmosphere and only marginally higher prices (12-20 for a tin) than buying online... my b&m stinks on some levels but at least they try to treat everyone well. Maybe it's the southern hospitality that is ingrained in most folks here, maybe not... but without it I'd drive 100 miles to another store if I needed to.

7. craig

craig Active Member

When i first joined here, i lurked for a good few weeks and when started posting i was nervous that i would be seen as silly kid and shouldnt be here, but the welcome i got was well above and beyond what i expected, everyone welcomed me with open arms and treat me like a friend and more importantly a person, even though i was a total newbie.

StubrnDutchman and Tate like this.
  8. Tate

Tate Member

And that my friend, is why you and I are posting on this forum.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

That is because, as Tate said, young smokers are the future of the hobby/way of life.

When I worked in a pipe shop, I always loved it when old friends would stop in and smoke and talk pipes and tobaccos. But not as much as when that young kid would come in holding his pipe and saying "I'm having trouble keeping this thing lit and it's making my tongue burn. What am I doing wrong?". I gave them my speech about how to load, light, sip and clean a pipe, then about 4 oz of tobacco, pipe cleaners and stick matches, and instructions to come back in a few days and update me and we'd take it to the next level.

We were all new smokers at one time. I had a mentor that taught me to become one. Hopefully someone I've taught has passed it forward, and so on. And I continue to learn as I go, and sometimes it's a young smoker who shows me the way! :th1:

EmperorGix and StubrnDutchman like this.
  10. craig

craig Active Member

thats cool dan, i had a few people give me tips along the way when i first started, and when i first started i was hopeless, puffing too deep/fast, burning my tongue and not getting much taste, then i got told good ways to pack, do the cold draws, and more importantly slow it down, listen to music or read the first few months so your concentrating on something else and it sub consciously slows you down, sip slowly and gently, less is more and relax if you need relights who cares as long as you get enjoyment.

The music/reading tip was the best bit of advice i was ever given, listen to music and read and over time slowly take it away and when its gone you should have the perfect puffing cadence and over time just tweak if need be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.