Pipe Gripes - eBay edition

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by LifeOfRiley, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

1. Ridiculous shipping costs.
    2. Selling used cobs. I enjoy my MM as much as the next guy, but, really? And, no, throwing a couple into a lot to pad the numbers doesn't make the group more appealing.
    3. Too few or out of focus pictures, especially on the name or logo.
    4. Unproven assertions in titles ("Possible Dunhill!") to gin up search results.
    5. Has that antique tin been opened or not?
    6. Sellers who "forget" to combine shipping - especially when they realize they screwed themselves with a bad listing title (had this happen when I nabbed a Sav and another pipe for next to nothing).
    7. An item gets no bids, so you re-list with the same description, pictures, and price. What do you think the problem with the first one was, genius?

Yours?

jdto, BigJ, p120d16y and 3 others like this.

2. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

3. ThePipingKevin

ThePipingKevin Member

You mean Feebay? I don't have much to say about Feebay. I rarely use it. I mostly find bad, hopeless searches for something I dont care much about.
    I'am very selective with my pipes. I only have 4. er 5 Just bought one off...youtube. (who would have thought?) Yes it is legit. But estate sales and B&M are better. You can see and hold what you are wanting. All my Pipes i have bought new. So a B&M has a better selection than most. Plus no $16.95 shipping charge for B&Ms.

4. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

8. A pipe you're watching is sold, but appears the next day with the same description, pictures, price and seller. Gee I wonder how that happened? :rolleyes:
    9. Wow! Rare! Incredible! Vintage! and other stupid declarations.

dmkerr likes this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

YES!!! This one busts my noodle every time. In some cases, the "buyer" is listed as "private". Makes me wonder if the seller has a separate account he uses to outbid the top bidder if he doesn't like the price he got. I see this kind of thing often, and I put those sellers on my Avoid list.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Agree with the possible exception of #7. It's possible the right buyer just didn't see the first listing. I don't shop on Ebay every week. Sometimes timing is everything.

7. WrightwoodJohn

And again the high shipping on some items for me. However, I have gotten some great deals on estate Dunhills & other pipes. I couldn't have gotten the same deals elsewhere.

jpberg and furious like this.
  8. furious

furious Junque collector

Second John's comments. Many, many diamonds in the rough if one is aware enough to spot them before the serious collectors do!!

jpberg and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  9. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

it can also happen when someone places a shill bid to bump up the price and they accidentally win their own auction. I have a brother who used to practice that method. :rolleyes:

10. WrightwoodJohn

You can't bid on your own auction.

11. BigB

BigB Member

Lots of people have a second account in someone else's name and bid on their own stuff. It's wrong, and against the rules, but it does happen.

12. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

That is why i keep items im watching in my list for a couple days if the same item showes up you can report them and yes ebay does keep track of this They go back in the historys of that seller. That is also why i use snipe software hard to bid me up when i dont bid till the last 16secs of an auction.

13. highstump

highstump Active Member

I would add that while the term "vintage" can be applied to anything, maybe it shouldn't be. :fpalm:

jpberg likes this.
  14. Smokey

Smokey Member

"Unsmoked" is one of my favorites....yea..right..

15. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

10. People who proudly proclaim that they've completed "restored" the pipe for you. Some of these people remind me of the old lady I once saw on Antiques Roadshow who proudly told the appraiser how she had stripped the old finish off of this old dresser and made it beautiful again. Then she found out that it was worth maybe a quarter of what it would have been if she had just left it alone. Leave the pipe for me to clean up thank you, especially if you're also claiming that you know nothing about pipes. Hmm that last one could be number 11.

jpberg likes this.
  16. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Numbers 1, 3, and 4, certainly; but I've been on and off eBay since 2003 and I'm seeing a rise in people spiking their auctions again. eBay used to really police this in the early days, but I'm seeing a definite increase of auction tampering. I often leave my watched auctions on my watch list, post ending, and most often inadvertently, only to review them much later and discover the item was resisted, or....or, get a message of a second chance offer because the initial buyer didnt follow through or something, and this has occurred many times just minutes after the auction ends. That's a rather strong indication of auction tampering, imo. And one of the biggest problems with eBay.

I should mention misrepresented items as well. I have an item right now that was grossly misrepresented and needs to be returned for refund. This is something that annoys me immensely.

17. Mr Doody

Mr Doody Member

i've been watching for dunhills of specific years. over the past few months, i'd say as many as FIFTY PERCENT of the postings for dunnies in the years i'm paying attention to screw up the dating - even though the zillion guides on the intertubez are very clear and mostly accurate. just yesterday, 2 of 3 new ads were wrong. sheesh.

18. Elliottws

Elliottws Member

My favorite is when you look at an estate pipe, with 1/2 inch of cake in the bowl, and the description states that it comes from a non-smoking house :confused:

19. WrightwoodJohn

20. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I occasionally sell pipes on ebay when my collection needs thinning. I am up to $16.00 for ups ground to the 48 states. If the buyer lives in CA, I will lose a few dollars on the shipping. It sounds high, $16.00 including insurance. But UPS has been raising their prices based on the inflation rates of years ago, not the current low inflation rate. The result is high shipping costs. US mail charges a little less, but they are going up a lot too, and mailing a package means losing an hour going to the post office and waiting on line, so I use UPS for domestic. Otherwise I agree with your complaints.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.