Pipe History 101, How much we know about our Hobby...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonpareil

Well guys, good morning... This is one of my crazy ideas for a thread again, after several weeks in the darkness. I woke up this morning craving a smoke, went to my building smoking pit and started to smoke some alexander blend/latakia Mix (Sam of Northwoods Tobacco Shop, NC) While im puffing quietly, here comes another Marine (to add to the other hundreds that have said the same stuff in my hole stay in the states) and says to me; "dude! you are smoking a pipe there?" I look at my pipe, and said to him; "no, im smoking a joint jackass!! You ask me if I am smoking a pipe... No Sh*t!!!". His answer was; "dude, you are so odd"... I ask; why im "so odd" dumbstick...? He says; "well cuz you are smoking a pipe and you cant see that a lot around here.....". My point is: when I lived back home in Puerto Rico, I was really a weirdo just for the fact that I smoked pipes and cigars, obviously because cultural stuff, pipe smoking never has been so popular, cigar smoking is kinda old man thing back there. So, the little worm of curiosity bit me... What about pipe history and cultures that acrually include pipe smoking in their daily basis? Write what you know, links to related articles and stuff like that:bing:

limpinghawk

I found this with an on line search:

A brief history of the pipe

2000 BC Remains of tobacco leaves and pipes are found in Egyptian mummies. This is yet to be explained scientifically.
1500 BC Pipes are used by North American indians for ceremonial purposes and as a symbol of reconciliation.
300 AC The Greek doctor Hypocrites used smoke inhalation from herbs as a remedy
for certain female diseases.
1000 The herb "Angelikarot" is smoked in pipes in Norway.
1492 Columbus discovers (or maybe rediscovers) America and the use of tobacco.
1519 The tobacco plant reaches Europe.
1559 Jean Nicot launches the tobacco plant as a multiremedy; among the french royalties it becomes fashionable to "sneeze away the headache".
1580 Chalk pipes are mass produced - mostly for mariners.
1586 A ban on smoking is included in the ten revised commandments in Switzerland.
1600 Iron pipes are used in Norway, also among the laps.
1604 The first anti tobacco campaign is launched by Jacob the 1th of England.
1618-1648 During the 30 years war, pipe smoking gains recognition throughout Europe.
1619-1630 Christian the IVth of Denmark & Norway punishes smoking on ships by keel-hauling.
1630 The death penalty is introduced for smoking in Turkey, Russia and China. These punishments seem to disappear when the regents discover the enormous amount of income tax tobacco can generate.
1720 Meerschaum is discovered and becomes the highest regarded pipe material.
1820 The cigar becomes fashionable in western Europe.
1840 From its birthplace in Jura, France, the briar pipe gains world popularity.
Bigger and longer pipes are however in use until about 1920.
1853-1856 The war at Crime introduces the cigarette to the west from Turkey.

Falconeer

Hi,

When I was growing up in the 1950s and 1960s, Britain was a smoking country generally and a pipe smoking country in particular. Smoking was permitted everywhere and was so routine it wasn't even noticed - in fact it was the norm.

Like everything else to do with Britain in those days it had class connotations - working men usually smoked small nosewarmer pipes ("Stonehaven" was the usual brand, called a "Steenie" or "Cutty Pipe" in Scotland ) with fairly strong plug or bar tobacco, guys who wore suits to work usually carried a straight standard length pipe in their outside breast pocket as a badge of respectability.

Things began to change in the late 80s and the speed of change accelerated rapridly after that so that pipe smoking became a minority sport as the Nanny Sate and Anti-Smoking :):):):):) took over the asylum.

Gerry

Dondi

Falconeer said:
guys who wore suits to work usually carried a straight standard length pipe in their outside breast pocket as a badge of respectability.
Really!? with the bowl sticking out? :eek:

When I was growing up in the Mississippi Delta in the latter 50's and 60's, pipe smoking was common place. A lot of the older men especially smoked them. There were no tobacco shops per se that I ever saw as a young boy. I went around with my Dad (a pipe smoker) as he bought drug store brands. A lot of the "country/hill type" people smoked Prince Albert in pipes as they also rolled their own cigarettes with same. I can recall only one time when I was around 6 years of age going to a man's house with a long dining room table and it had many kinds of "bunches" of tobacco leaves upon it and all the guests (men) were pinching, sniffing, and chopping and smoking pipes. This was a very rare occurence in a terribly poor region and I didn't quite know what to make of it, except as always, I was not allowed to touch anything!
Hahahahaahah. It appeared that throughout the '70's, pipe smoking there fell from grace and is probably now almost non-existant. Down here in the "Banana Republic of S. Louisiana", pipe smokers are rare today. An almost esoteric/eclectic group that must meet in secrecy for I almost never see any unless I go to the tobacco shop. We are blessed however, with tobacco shops and this is a more prosperous region than from where I came. This post brought back some fond memories. Thanks, Wilson

Falconeer

No Dondi - always with the stem sticking out - usually oddly enough heavily oxidised brown or green - quite disgusting really but done by doctors lawyers accountants teachers etc! Most guys here then only had one or maybe two pipes anyway,

Gerry

Nonpareil

Old Mr. Wilson said:
When I was growing up in the Mississippi Delta in the latter 50's and 60's, pipe smoking was common place. A lot of the older men especially smoked them. There were no tobacco shops per se that I ever saw as a young boy. I went around with my Dad (a pipe smoker) as he bought drug store brands. A lot of the "country/hill type" people smoked Prince Albert in pipes as they also rolled their own cigarettes with same. I can recall only one time when I was around 6 years of age going to a man's house with a long dining room table and it had many kinds of "bunches" of tobacco leaves upon it and all the guests (men) were pinching, sniffing, and chopping and smoking pipes. This was a very rare occurence in a terribly poor region and I didn't quite know what to make of it, except as always, I was not allowed to touch anything!
Hahahahaahah. It appeared that throughout the '70's, pipe smoking there fell from grace and is probably now almost non-existant. Down here in the "Banana Republic of S. Louisiana", pipe smokers are rare today. An almost esoteric/eclectic group that must meet in secrecy for I almost never see any unless I go to the tobacco shop. We are blessed however, with tobacco shops and this is a more prosperous region than from where I came. This post brought back some fond memories. Thanks, Wilson
Well Mr. Wilson, Thats the thing I noted here in the states... the relatively "new" generations doesnt know pipe smoking, or they know it, but, they dont do it because its old fashioned (FU#%ING CIGARRETES). I can count with my right hand fingers the people of my age (25) that I have seen smoking pipes, and they have two common factors: pipe smoking dad's or they are from a really country region of the US, that pipe smoking its not common, but you can still see it.
Its a shame that pipe smoking have come to such a state of old fashion thing to the people, its more that a wooden thing and shredded tobacco leaves... its a science and art to smoke a pipe, it takes time, practice and patience to get all the knowledge you need to be a good pipe smoker, understand all the terms and really enjoy your experience, have a relaxing time, and enjoy the most incredible variety different tobaccos, pipes, accesories and the most important thing of all, the oportunity to meet wonderful people, that have awesome minds and thoughts, and we get all together, to share a little of our knowledge and life, for example, here or in the tobacco shop.... for me thats more than a reason to keep going on this.:bing:

Amen Nonpareil. On a side note, I'd like to mention that the only pipesmokers that I've seen "out in the open" in ANY number would be a downtown festival of the sort. Let's say like in a 3 day/night festival with crafts and food and music, out of over maybe 40 thousand people, I might observe 5 different people openly walking around smoking a pipe. I will start being more observant! Of course one always has to worry about the jack-booted :):):):) anti-smoke police or some overly sensitive bastard/wench whining about someone smoking even outdoors!! Honest to God, I was retrieving some beads during Mardi Gras one year hung on a tree limb and a woman stopped and told me I was hurting the tree. I said something along the lines of "tough :poop:sky". There are some real wackos running around. Wilson

dubhdarra

saw some kid smoking a relatively nice kaywoodie bent billiard the other day, unfortunately using a bic lighter and bulk rolling tobacco. i gave him a pack of matches, wrapped up two flakes of UF, explained how to dry and smoke them and that he's wanna do so within two days, showed him how to break it up using a piece of erinmore.

he's a metalhead, he said he started smoking a pipe because its "rougher and hardcore, you're smoking like, way more, and there's no filter"

hope i did something to help... not sure it'll make a difference.

dubhdarra

limpinghawk said:
2000 BC Remains of tobacco leaves and pipes are found in Egyptian mummies. This is yet to be explained scientifically.
tobacco occurs naturally worldwide (at least other nicotena plants do, that could be used as tobacco) and apparently australian aboriginies (i hope thats the correct term now) have been using a local form of tobacco, albeit chewed, medicinally for far longer than the west has known about it. it seems there's even a theory that they may have been the people who introduced it to the new world, but i cant access the whole article. leave it to one of the other college students who is better at jstor.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/4254048

considering egyptian birth control consisted of an herbal preparation mixed with crocodile dung and honey inserted vaginally (i'm not making this up) i wouldnt be surprised if a lot of them went about setting plants on fire and huffing the result. seems like the sort of thing people who built huge stone things for dead people and mud huts for the living would do.

Nonpareil

dubhdarra said:
tobacco occurs naturally worldwide (at least other nicotena plants do, that could be used as tobacco) and apparently australian aboriginies (i hope thats the correct term now) have been using a local form of tobacco, albeit chewed, medicinally for far longer than the west has known about it. it seems there's even a theory that they may have been the people who introduced it to the new world, but i cant access the whole article. leave it to one of the other college students who is better at jstor.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/4254048

considering egyptian birth control consisted of an herbal preparation mixed with crocodile dung and honey inserted vaginally (i'm not making this up) i wouldnt be surprised if a lot of them went about setting plants on fire and huffing the result. seems like the sort of thing people who built huge stone things for dead people and mud huts for the living would do.
Lets do some research!!
http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/prehistory/egypt/dailylife/midwifery.htm
Yep guys.... it was no joke what hw said about egyptian birth control, they might have crazy uses of the tobacco leave.... but lets go tobacco again shall we?...:XD:

Ivycap

dubhdarra said:
saw some kid smoking a relatively nice kaywoodie bent billiard the other day, unfortunately using a bic lighter and bulk rolling tobacco. i gave him a pack of matches, wrapped up two flakes of UF, explained how to dry and smoke them and that he's wanna do so within two days, showed him how to break it up using a piece of erinmore.

he's a metalhead, he said he started smoking a pipe because its "rougher and hardcore, you're smoking like, way more, and there's no filter"

hope i did something to help... not sure it'll make a difference.
Spreading the joy! How about a round of applause! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Status
Not open for further replies.