1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pipe ID (or something similar)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Spaceboy Tim, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Hey guys,

I stumbled on this pipe and was wondering if anyone could ID it for me:
    [​IMG]

2. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

We are going to need a bit more info.

3. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

:xd:
    Yeah, sorry, but all I can tell you so far is that it's a straight, rusticated, dark-stained billiard-ish pipe. Probably a vulcanite stem, but possibly something different.
    ;)

TxPipesmoker likes this.
  4. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Is this a pipe you own? Are looking to buy? Does it have any markings on the at all?

5. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Yeah I figured it would be a long shot but I figured if anyone could figure it out it would be you guys. I don't own this pipe; I just saw the picture and thought it was amazing. I would buy it but I'm sure it's long gone. Do you guys know who makes black, sandblasted straight billiards? I would prefer something under $100 but wouldn't mind going a bit over.

6. Paul

Paul Member

7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Here's a couple of Savinelli's different sizes for much less:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=70113
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=84366

and here's a Stanwell for less than 90:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=80407

these are just from one site, I searched for "Billiard" and came up with tons, shop around and see what's out there! (and no, I don't work for that site, it's just where I generally look first for selection, then price compare.)

8. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I'll definitely be looking at Savinellis and Stanwells. The only briar pipe I own is an old Sav which has been serving me quite well. I have been interested in trying an acrylic stem though Stanwells are definitely in contention too.

Anyone else have some other pipe makers to recommend?

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Maybe bag a Kaywoodie . Relief grains are priced at around 25 bucks

11. Paul

Paul Member

oh my i want a bunch of those. :confused:
    are the latitude 41's on sale? i only see the more expensive ones on sale on the site :(

12. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Have to check with Jan. Not sure what he's asking these days, but I'm sure they're still a pretty good value. I think mine was only ~$50 when I bought it ten years ago. Don't remember what the exchange rate was back then though either...

13. Paul

Paul Member

if its only $50 i might get two. i love chubby pipes :P

14. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

It's a 1962 Dunhill Shell Briar, Group 4. The stem has been replaced by a non-professional, so there's no dot. The stem replacement cost $20. The pipe is worth $102.57, unless it was formerly owned by Mr. Bruce Springsteen, but it doesn't look like one of his.

Next?

Jayson H Bucy and Kiowapipe like this.
  15. Paul

Paul Member

if that's right.. dayum!

16. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Hey Paul I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale. Shoot me a PM sometime.:byg:

17. Paul

Paul Member

psh i like mountains, beaches are dumb :P

TxPipesmoker likes this.
  18. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

I looked at the picture a little bit more and it looks like it does have a white dot. I don't know if anyone else can make it out but I'm pretty sure there's a white dot there. That means I'll never be able to afford it :(

By the way, how could you tell it was a Dunhill and the year it was made?

19. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Please excuse me; I was playing the fool. Well, maybe not playing, but being.
    It may well actually be a Dunhill, I too see the ghost of a dot in the enlarged photo. If you'd like to have a Dunhill, don't despair-- they go for $100 and even a little under on Ebay sometimes. I have two that I got that way, and they were cheaper than I expected them to be. One of the two is quite a good smoker, and the other is amongst the worst pipes I have, so no need to be impressed by the brand name. :)

20. Paul

Paul Member

id just go for one of those jan zeman pipes, they look just as awesome, and apparently arent very expensive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.