1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pipe Identification Help - Old estate

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Arneson, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arneson

Arneson New Member

Hey guys! I am new to the forums and wanted to see if anyone knew what kind of pipe this is? I just started getting into the hobby and my wife bought me this pipe on ebay. I haven't seen any pipes like it. It doesn't appear to have any sort of distinguishing markings that I can see to tell me where it was made or who made it except for the tool that came with it says "Made in U.S.A."

Any info would be great!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Arneson

Arneson New Member

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Thats a cool pipe , man . You could look through old pipe store catalogs and maybe spot it . ... http://www.pipepages.com/ .... I have no idea what make it is but ... how does she smoke !?

4. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

Welcome to the forum! That pipe is pretty neat, but with no marking, it would be pretty hard to find the maker.

5. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

No marks of any sort makes it pretty hard. Also I wouldn't assume that the pipe tool has anything to do with the pipe.
    PS- that's actually kind of a cool pipe tool. I'd polish it up and use it. What's the fourth attachment on there?

6. Arneson

Arneson New Member

Here is a photo of the other side of the tool, I haven't smoked it yet but plan to have it cleaned soon and give it a try! I wanted to see if I could find out more first. Does anyone know the term for the metal casing at the top? Or if these are common among any kind of make? That is a good point about the tool, I should probably assume the box wasn't original either then. The box had no markings either. Thanks for the help so far guys!

[​IMG]

7. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

It's usually called a windcap. They're out of the ordinary but not uncommon. It's possible to get aftermarket ones to install on just about any pipe, although with yours I'd guess it's original. It seems to sort of match the band around the shank. Can you tell what material the stem is? Probably vulcanized rubber although possibly acrylic or maybe even "plastic" plastic. Does the bowl seem to be wood? On just about every briar pipe I've ever seen, even the unmarked unbranded ones, there's a stamp saying "imported briar" or "genuine bruyere" or some such.
    Also, if you're really curious about this pipe, you could always go back to the eBay seller and ask him what he knows. He may have just picked it up in a lot and have zero knowledge, or it might be his dad's trusty old pipe that he's had since the '60s. Worth a try.

8. Arneson

Arneson New Member

I definitely am almost positive the bowl is wood, however I'm not sure on the stem. I can tell you that it is not a solid color, it has variations of black/gray. They are kind of swirly like coffee art. They also seem slightly more reflective of light than some of my other stems. I'm trying to find a magnifying glass to examine the bowl further, but I've looked very hard and just can't seem to find any stamps anywhere.

9. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

There were many pipes similar to this that were made in Germany from 1861-1945, they seemed to come back to the states as WWII bringbacks. The only label on the majority of them is "Bruyere Garantie" translated... Guarantied Briar-words reversed. There is a Dunhill Bruyere, but I don't think it is related at all. There should be a subforum for these types, since nobody has come up with much for information.... Google the german words, and there will be a nice selection of them to view. The antler equipped variations are original, too.

10. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

**The windcap is an exact match for the "BG" pipes, it has a deep metal bowl, right? There are more complicated variations that come apart into 4 pieces, and the cloth & spring at the top of those tends to rot out... to have a solid stem is a plus, and it's the only one I have seen that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.