Pipe lighters

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by umfunix, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

I've got a few lighters and pipe lighters which I collected over time from my dad and myself...
    A battery operated Ronson electronic varaflame (what would they say by today's adjective of 'electronic')
    A Win pipe lighter and 2 of these square ones
    A zippo pipe lighter

Despite this, I'm frequently frustrated (and I remember my dad too, thats why he frequently bought new ones) by the lighter not firing first time. The Ronson sometimes takes 6+ clicks before you would get a light, the Win - I even gave up on that one. The Zippo is currently the best but needs juice more frequently than I expected. Not even a deep clean vd maintenance, new flint, topup gas will make a real difference.

I have not tried these new type of lighters. Any experienced advice out there? What are you guys using? Some will still believe matches are the best (must say, it does give an even light around the bowl), but our matches are also. Ot the same quality than what they were long ago. I sometimes use 3-4 matches for one light - wet wood.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
    JustKyle2711 likes this.

2. muddler

muddler Member

I have a couple of (not cheap) Old Boy imitations that work well on occasion - they're temperamental. My favorite remains the trusty Zippo, especially when outdoors. Just great, functional lighters that don't give up.

3. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

OMW, sometimes the misspell-mistakes on iPhone/iPad is too funny. Wonder if the pope would need a good lighter? A Zippo pope lighter!

Tony Malerich and Lucky Duck like this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

How many popes does he have? How many popes is too many? :D

If you're looking for lighters instead of using matches, I've found it's best not to cheap out with imitations. I've used an Old Boy for close to 30 years... yep, the same one. If it's got fluid and a flint, it lights every time I flick it. Never has failed, never needed repair. After 30 years, it looks pretty terrible but functionality is what I'm after.

umfunix and KleinToit like this.
  5. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

My Catholic friends inform me that you are going to hell if you start lighting the Pope dude. Just FYI :xd:

6. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

...as for a lighter, I have used the same plain, cammo zippo, which I got at the PX at Ft Richardson, Alaska, for 25 years. The finish is a bit worn but it still works great.

umfunix likes this.
  7. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I have found Zippo to be the best IMO.
    Not perfect, but best.
    I wish they would make a zippo with a rough texture though, to help me keep ahold of it.

umfunix and ruffinogold like this.
  8. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

That pointy hat he wears sure does beg to be lit...

umfunix likes this.
  9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Pope lighter ... sends you to a burning hell .. dont buy one .. repent !

:beck:

umfunix likes this.
  10. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Its all about zippo's my friend, no other lighter I've used has come close. Cant be beat for design, functionality and value for money (lifetime guarentee on all lighters and insane customer service). The pipe insert for them was a stroke of genius, whoever came up with that deserves a knighthood.

aquaholic and umfunix like this.
  11. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

like like !

12. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Sarome do a really good pipe lighter. Xikar Pipelines are a waste of time. I use either refillable or non-refillable cheap plastic lighters. Had too many problems with pipe-specific lighters. I don't like the Zippo pipe lighter as you can't really direct the flame to specific parts of the bowl which I find useful in the event of uneven burn.

13. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Years ago I had a Pope -- er -- Pipe Lighter that in hindsight was unique. I liked it, but it is gone now and I've never seen any since. There was a passive system, a very small tube that angled over the flame. The heat caused the flame to point down into a pipe lighting mode. Really. I'm not making this up. It was a very simple, non-butane design that worked well as a pipe lighter.

14. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Aww, someone changed the thread title. :(

umfunix likes this.
  15. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

The Governor, by Vertigo
    CL-GOVERNOR.jpg
    This is my favorite lighter, always works, $20 or less on various sites.
    Soft butane flame, built-in tamper/pick tool, and large flame adjustment wheel.

16. zacROK

zacROK Member

I use a Zippo 99% of the time I use a tighter, sometimes I use a Bic. I have been using a lot of matches lately. But, the Zippo gets the most attention.

17. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

I second on Vertigo lighters. My wife bought me one for Christmas last year and it is still holding strong.

[​IMG]

18. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

You know what ..... i went out to buy myself another one for my birthday!
    [​IMG]

5H4N3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.