Pipe lighters

Status
Not open for further replies.

umfunix

I've got a few lighters and pipe lighters which I collected over time from my dad and myself...
A battery operated Ronson electronic varaflame (what would they say by today's adjective of 'electronic')
A Win pipe lighter and 2 of these square ones
A zippo pipe lighter

Despite this, I'm frequently frustrated (and I remember my dad too, thats why he frequently bought new ones) by the lighter not firing first time. The Ronson sometimes takes 6+ clicks before you would get a light, the Win - I even gave up on that one. The Zippo is currently the best but needs juice more frequently than I expected. Not even a deep clean vd maintenance, new flint, topup gas will make a real difference.

I have not tried these new type of lighters. Any experienced advice out there? What are you guys using? Some will still believe matches are the best (must say, it does give an even light around the bowl), but our matches are also. Ot the same quality than what they were long ago. I sometimes use 3-4 matches for one light - wet wood.

Take 15% off Cigar Gifts! Use Promo Code: GIFT15 at cart
Last edited by a moderator:

dmkerr

PG- free since '83!
Staff member
Wonder if the pope would need a good lighter? A Zippo pope lighter!
How many popes does he have? How many popes is too many? :D

If you're looking for lighters instead of using matches, I've found it's best not to cheap out with imitations. I've used an Old Boy for close to 30 years... yep, the same one. If it's got fluid and a flint, it lights every time I flick it. Never has failed, never needed repair. After 30 years, it looks pretty terrible but functionality is what I'm after.

CoreyR

Living the sweet life!
...as for a lighter, I have used the same plain, cammo zippo, which I got at the PX at Ft Richardson, Alaska, for 25 years. The finish is a bit worn but it still works great.

Its all about zippo's my friend, no other lighter I've used has come close. Cant be beat for design, functionality and value for money (lifetime guarentee on all lighters and insane customer service). The pipe insert for them was a stroke of genius, whoever came up with that deserves a knighthood.

umfunix

Its all about zippo's my friend, no other lighter I've used has come close. Cant be beat for design, functionality and value for money (lifetime guarentee on all lighters and insane customer service). The pipe insert for them was a stroke of genius, whoever came up with that deserves a knighthood.
like like !

buistd

Sarome do a really good pipe lighter. Xikar Pipelines are a waste of time. I use either refillable or non-refillable cheap plastic lighters. Had too many problems with pipe-specific lighters. I don't like the Zippo pipe lighter as you can't really direct the flame to specific parts of the bowl which I find useful in the event of uneven burn.

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn...
Years ago I had a Pope -- er -- Pipe Lighter that in hindsight was unique. I liked it, but it is gone now and I've never seen any since. There was a passive system, a very small tube that angled over the flame. The heat caused the flame to point down into a pipe lighting mode. Really. I'm not making this up. It was a very simple, non-butane design that worked well as a pipe lighter.

SmokeyJoe

The Governor, by Vertigo
CL-GOVERNOR.jpg

This is my favorite lighter, always works, $20 or less on various sites.
Soft butane flame, built-in tamper/pick tool, and large flame adjustment wheel.

zacROK

I use a Zippo 99% of the time I use a tighter, sometimes I use a Bic. I have been using a lot of matches lately. But, the Zippo gets the most attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.