Pipe Makers- Ever Meet Any?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by ArmedOctopus, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveH

SteveH Active Member

Oh yes - nearly forgot. I've met Ian Walker as well, at a PCOL meeting last year. I've got two pipes of his, one commissioned from him in 2011. He works on a narrowboat on a canal, but I was slightly gobsmacked to discover his business address when I corresponded with him about the commissioned pipe - in Heaton Moor, Stockport, only about a quarter of a mile from where I grew up, in the 60s. It turned out that it used to be the local tobacconist, which his parents owned in the 80s. I remember it well, but from the 60s and early 70s, when it was under different ownership. Excellent chap, excellent pipes.

2. Jfro

Jfro Member

Dr. Grabow.

SteveH and ruffinogold like this.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm pretty sure Askwith is responsible for the WhiteChapel murders, and this whole "nice guy, easygoing pipemaker, don't mind me" thing is just a coverup.

I've chatted with a dozen different pipe makers on Google+. They're a bunch of morons, with the exception of Ernie Markle, who is a cretin.

4. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

That's only funny if they get on here and gig you back. So, get 'em on here. This one dog pipe maker show needs some fresh faces.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

And prettier faces. :confused:

I'm actually unsure why this place doesn't have more traffic from many other pipe makers. There were some rule changes a few years ago that I think confused/annoyed some guys, but I think mostly what happens is that each guy has his preferred sales venues and hangouts, and for a long time, this forum was so small that it sort of "wasn't worth it" for the big guys to hang out much. And the truth of it is, only a half dozen pipe makers frequent any forums as regulars, other than the pipe making forum proper. I think it's an under-valued venue, and I've had arguments with Tyler Beard, for example ("Tyler" on this board) as to the value of things like pipe shows for sales. To me, they are an old-fashioned and virtually outmoded method of meeting prospective customers. To Tyler, it's a way of meeting people you DON'T meet on these boards, which is a lot of people, honestly.

But it's still my duty to tease Chris Askwith just because he's such a gentleman, and to abuse Ernie Markle because I am sworn to do so.

Old Codger and SouthBound like this.
  6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Pipe makers are jerks, right across the board, and if I need to speak to a jerk I'll stand in front of a mirror, and save the hassle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.