Pipe newbie here!

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by kalouch, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalouch

kalouch Member

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post, I'm a new pipe smoker, i quit smoking a while back and discovered a passion for pipes recently, I'm still going easy on it like smoking one bowl every 2-3 days to avoid getting hitched but am enjoying that one bowl so much.
    I started with a Mac-barren Virginia Flake, i m from Lebanon,Middle east, and i couldn't find lots of varieties of tobaccos, only found what i thought is "commercial" like cherry or vanilla flavored tobacco, and I'm mainly interested in trying out blends that are more tobacco than fruit actually :), so that's why i like the Virginia flake so much, but its more expensive than other kinds, can anyone help a poor newbie with other options?
    i also would like to ask you guys if anyone is able to send me a like 3 Missouri Meer pipes! I'm dying to have a corn cob that is worth something but its impossible to find one here, of course id be paying for the package and all beforehand by western union or something :)

Joseph!

2. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

Welcome!

I love smoking my pipes, and look at is a hobby, never a habit.

What kind of tobaccos are available to you in Lebanon? Do not discount some of the relatively cheap "drugstore" or commonly known as OTC - "Over The Counter" blends. They are usually quite cheap, and are long lasting for good reasons. If you can find them, Carter Hall and Prince Albert are two usually economical blends with good tobacco flavor. Carter Hall is usually a bit sweeter, but nothing like a heavily flavored aromatic tobacco blend.

From your description of what you are looking for, heavier English/Balkan/Scottich blends sound like they are right up your alley! If you can find some Dunhill blends you will probably be very happy. If the Mac Baren tobaccos are readily available, I highly recommend Dark Twist - very nice flavor to the Virginias in that one, and the little tobacco sliced into coins have great visual appeal. I dedicated a pipe to that blend, as it has a great flavor on its own.

Again, Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your pipes!!

Joshua

3. kalouch

kalouch Member

Thank you so much ZuluSafari! :thankyou:

Being rather new to pipe smoking, i do not know all the shops around Beirut, the only really famous shop had a variety of Mac Baren blends but i do not remember if they had Dark Twist.

Unfortunately pipe smoking isn't at all the trend here as it is for smoking cigarettes, so a pipe smoker will definitely suffer hehe.

4. kalouch

kalouch Member

I will keep on looking around...and if anyone of you guys know some way i could have a couple of good tobacco tins shipped it would be great...and am still looking for someone to send me those corncobs! i used to watch Popeye a lot growing up :P

5. an1m4l

an1m4l Member

I'm also a total rookie at this (I only have an unmarked briar - I think - pipe). But I'm also looking to get a cob and keep looking for different tobaccos. On my next paycheck I'm going to order a cob and one or two tins from here http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/ . They claim to ship worldwide for a £4.40 fee, if you want to try.

Cheers

6. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

Kalouch, this is actually the trend here as well. There are (were?) 5 tobacconists I know of in my state that have a good selection of Pipe tobacco, and one has really tapered off to cigars and cigarettes. I am lucky that I travel all over the US for my job, and can look in tobacco shops in many different states and larger cities.

I see by searching online that the American University of Beirut is very active in its antismoking/tobacco work. Without getting into a heated political/social debate, that may be why there isn't much emphasis on pipe smoking there. I saw some references to places catering to "Food, Tobacco, and Spirits" but nothing much was listed. I also see Hookah tobacco is more widely distributed/accepted.

Try some of the more well known online distributors - they may ship to Lebanon. Again, I do not want to get into any political discussions, but there may be some stores who ship to Beirut from the US, and maybe not, but I would think several from Great Britain, Germany, or France may be excellent sources. I do not know about other locations, but I encourage you to try as much as you can!

7. aircoder

aircoder Member

Welcome kalouch
    Was a pleasure meeting you in the chat last evening, good luck on your journey into pipe smoking and enjoy all it has to offer.

Coder.

8. kalouch

kalouch Member

Thank you so much! this answers my question perfectly! i will certainly order, europe is much easier/closer to ship/receive to/from, :thankyou: !

9. kalouch

kalouch Member

I have already checked the website given to me by Rijkaard, and its quiet helpful, i will give my starter pipe a bit of time before deciding on buying something more expensive/brand. but i did not understand why/how would you even go into political discussions when we're talking purely about smoking pipes..

10. kalouch

kalouch Member

Coder! it was a pleasure meeting you in chat as well! and thank you!

Joseph

11. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

When you start talking about availability of tobacco and shipping it between countries, issues of taxes, tobacco laws, different societies' attitudes, and even international relations are relevant to the discussion. But sometimes it's difficult to try to understand these things without getting opinionated and starting a huge lengthy debate.

12. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

Exactly right. I get confused and frustrated trying to understand why I can't get certain blends with rave reviews in England or other nationalities, and find it is because of some sort of political tax dispute. This is apparently why the Amphora brands are no longer sold in the US, and I got my supply from a trip to Canada. I do not wish to push any agendas or debate current political trade restrictions/rule/embargos. I just want to smoke my pipes!!

13. kalouch

kalouch Member

Wow i never looked at it like this guys, but you're right.

Here the only cigarette that doesn't get sold is Camel and it used to be my favorite, as for pipes and pipe tobacco i don't know if anything is restricted, as much as low demand on it. But thank you for the clarification! i did notice that the tins sold on mysmokingshop.com are much expensive than the Macbaren sold here, i got the VA Flake for 6$ on that site Macbaren are for almost 10 pounds.. so considering the pices id be spending for getting 40g tins (a week and a half of smoking) id stick to the Macbarens sold here lol

14. Eddie

Eddie Member

mysmokingshop.co.uk is actually my local tobacconist. The corn cobs are MM ones. Simon seems a straight up guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.