Pipe Rack Designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomasb

As you can tell, I have a penchant for squat, wide bowl pipes. The only
problem is that most pipe racks won't hold them very well. I've been
contemplating building my own pipe rack just for this style of pipe.
Are there any blueprints or plans on the web for building your own
pipe rack? Whats the best thing to use (router etc) to dig out the bottom
of the rack where the base of the pipe sets?

Demented

In answer to your question, no, try google.

In my opinion, the design flaw with most pipe-racks is the use of holes or divots, spaced evenly apart as the resting place for the bowl of the pipe. This limits how many pipes can be placed in the rack, doesn?t allow for large bowls or pipes shaped outside the conventional English chart. Think outside the box, rather the hole in this case.

cst

I am a bigtime archery geek. The reason I mention this is because a while back I made a pipe rack out of arrow clips and a board. I routed the edges of the board to make it purty and stained it and then installed the clips. Shape doesn't matter, nor lengh of stem with this type of storage. Plus, they are fairly inexpensive to make yourself. You don't even have to use arrow clips, the local hardware store should have everything you need in stock. I'd take a picture of the rack, but I made it as a gift for a friend.

Deckard

I've experimented some with pipe racks of my own design. I just never could justify to myself buying a rack when I could spend that money on another pipe. :puff:

I use wooden kitchen matches to light my pipes and found the poxes are great for keeping a couple pipes upright on my desk while I'm smoking.

For a more permanent solution I use thick old hardcover books in the 500 page range. I had already made a couple hollowed out book boxes when I thought I'd make one especially for my pipes. Instead of taking out the entire interior I only hollowed out ramped grooves for a few pipes. If the book it thick enough the cover even serves as a lid. Its a bit labor intensive, you'd have to invest an afternoon, but I really like mine and each one only cost me $.50 or so (consignment stores, yard sales. etc.).

Sasquatch

Wizzard
I have the same issue - fat bent pipes that no regular rack will take. The best racks seem to sort of grip the shank of the pipe, so shape is irrelevant, but they are hard to come by and expensive. Second to that, I've seen racks that you insert the pipe into, and kind of "hang" as a counterweight, but I don't like the force on the stem.

I keep mine in a custom made box with good airflow.

user0003

I have an acrylic stand that holds five huge pipes because it is curves with the pips on the outside. Been looking for more like it. I saw them some where on the web but haven't been able to find them again.

Maximus

Jesla said:
I have an acrylic stand that holds five huge pipes because it is curves with the pips on the outside. Been looking for more like it. I saw them some where on the web but haven't been able to find them again.

These ones, Jesla?

If so, I can PM you the link.

View attachment 324

Silverado

Sasquatch said:
That would be pretty easy to make out of wood, too.
And much more handsome. I think quilted maple would be nice, or cherry. Black walnut would be good, or even knotty pine for that cabin look.

Thomasb

Those are nice. Looks like they should be big enough. The major problem I have with the ones I have now is that my pipes are so wide that I need to skip a slot to get them to fit. So, a 3-pipe rack will only hold two. I may have to play around with building a wall mount rack with an extra 1/2 inch than normal between the pipes.

Philthy

I have the same bent for larger pipes. What about the racks where they are profiled (turned sideways) so you can see the pipes better? Some still have the cut out for the bowl, but others run a groove all the way across the base and have slots (angled) for the stems . I have been looking for plans and am working on my own pipe stand/cabinet now using this design.

Status
Not open for further replies.