Pipe rack/rest substitutes

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by nesta, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Alright, so I have five pipes and no pipe racks or pipe rests. I just lay them on their sides on a bookshelf where they will not be knocked off, except for my cob and my Bjarne which will both sit upright. Apart from being untidy, will this in any way harm my precious pipes?

Even if it wont, are there any good items which I may potentially find laying around which can make a decent pipe rest? I have no means by which to make a proper rack, and occasionally do find an odd item or two (like a glass tea light holder) which can manage to serve the purpose....

I assume my current method isn't in any way damaging my pipes, so perhaps its just a nonissue until I can afford a nice pipe rack

2. r0n54

r0n54 Member

You are basically right no harm will come to your pipes till you get a rack to display/store them. If you want to you can always put a soft cloth or the like on the shelf that you place your pipes on. This will protect them from sliding around and possibly getting scuffed, if you are picky. When you do get a rack, get one that will hold more pipes than you have to allow for some growth. You may find your collection soon out grows the rack......

3. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

I got a Hickory Farms sausage and cheese gift box for Christmas this year and it has that crimp cut brown paper in it. I can fit a half dozen pipes down in that wonderfully and it holds the shape for them and even looks kinda neat.

I also have a little stuffed M&M that sits next to my computer on my desk. With the feet forward it makes a nice little cradle for whatever pipe I've just finished or am about to smoke. So any kind of stuffed animal would work.

My two cents
    Happy Smoking
    Arty

4. Beale

Beale Active Member

I use a long slender wicker basket. Put my pipes in so they sit up. I like the idea of lining it. I am gonna use a nice Satin cloth to line it, Beale.

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Necessity is the mother of invention! Until you get a rack, get a big cup deep enough to stand up your pipes (bowl or stem down, either, your choice.....I prefer bowl down but if the pipe is clean, it doesn't matter). Put your pipes in the cup(s) and they'll be safe until you find the right rack(s) :whistle:

Do not store your pipes in enclosed containers, they need to breathe and dryout. Let them.

Ebay is a good place to look for some second hand or even new racks. I've gotten a few from ebay as well as a few from b&m's. Yardsales would be another great place to look as well as estate sale/liquidations.

Get a rack! :thumbsu:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

6. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

A good friend of mine used an egg carton with the top removed when he first took up the pipe....not "pretty", but very functional. I liked it enough that I have a few in the shop for "pipes-in-progress".

7. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Great idea for pipes-in progress, never crossed my mind. THANKS!!

8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Acquiring pipe furniture is part of the fun of this hobby. I used to pick up old pipe racks at antique stores and flea markets for cheap, most of which came from the estates of old briar brothers, long gone. :pray: If you can find them, the ones with slots instead of holes for the stems are a little more versatile IMO. I have more than one pipe that wont abide being crammed into a hole, a fact that is exacerbated by the fact that I prefer to use rubber bite protectors on my bits.

9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

All good ideas, but if no harm will come to my pipes from laying on a shelf so long as I'm careful, I'll just keep on keepin on until I can afford a nice pipe rack from the local B&M...that egg carton idea is cool though, I'll keep that in mind :cheers:

10. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Smokey & Colin....I live to serve! LOL Maybe a bit of gold leaf paint to
    dress it up"?? LOL

11. ichabod

ichabod Member

If you are close to any antique shops I highly recommend browsing them! I picked up this past week a 7-pipe rack for $10. It's basic and plain but it does what it's meant to do.

In fact, this weekend I found several others at reasonable prices compared to new from some online shops. I saw a 6-pipe rack that held 3 on either side of a wooden jar meant for tobacco and I believe it was priced at $20 or 25. I even found a nice dark green glass jar that was very handsome, opened it and it still had tobacco in it and it smelled amazing.

Anyway, I don't see them every time I stop in a shop but often enough to know that they are there and you can shop around for decent prices.

12. ichabod

ichabod Member

I also just thought of this, before I got my rack I picked up this little folding pipe stand, it was 1.99, very compact when not in use. I used it to rest whatever pipe I had just smoked while it cooled down, actually still use it.

[​IMG]

13. telltime

telltime Active Member

I can recommend standing a pipe up (bowl down) in a coffee mug. A mug will easily hold two or three pipes without much trouble...

Cheap and easy.

14. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

If you are handy with wood tools at all, take
    a small log, or bigger branch, and cut a
    quarter section out of it length-wise. Then
    Dremmel some lots in it, and presto! I did
    this once with a piece of Olivewood. Too
    bad I didn't let it season first, and it warped
    on me. Luckily, it was free. Meh, live and
    learn.

dp

15. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Or an antique crackle-finish. LOL. You watch, they're gonna show up on ebay....

16. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Here's a few cheap and cheerful things I've used over the years - a pint glass, a biscuit or shortbread tin, an OTC pipe tobacco drum such as a Carter Hall 14 ouncer, and the one litre plastic containers ice cream comes in from the supermarket.

This last lined with bubble wrap I use for taking my travelling pipes abroad. I have also used a large three drawer jewellery box I picked up at a flea market for £1.00 with sucess for storing my best pipes.

All it takes is a little imagination and you've cracked it

Best to all,

Gerry

17. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I used pliers to bend a piece of a wire coat-hanger into a serviceable pipe stand when I started out and I still use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.