1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pipe Return Etiquette

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by buistd, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Active Member

Hi there - having seen a couple of favourable reviews of Millville pipes on here and elsewhere online I decided to pick one up from their small stall in London. Sadly it is far from a success. Every time I have smoked the pipe the red stain has come off on my hands, and managed to make its way onto the previously white "M" logo on the stem (now pink). I presume this will stop happening after a while so I'm not too bothered about it, plus I bought the pipe as a beater (it only cost £15). The bigger problem is that it is impossible to smoke the pipe anywhere near the bottom. As soon as it gets to about the last 1/5 it just refuses to burn. Looking at the chamber it looks like it has been drilled too square at the bottom, which I presume is the reason for the poor smoking quality.
    My question is, do you think I am within my rights to take it back and ask for my money back, or is this just one that I have to put down to experience? It annoys me that next week I will be going to the Blakemar workshop and will be able to pick up a much better quality pipe for a couple of £ more.

2. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Any product, regardless of price, that you're not satisfied with, needs to be addressed. A legitimate complaint given in a positive manner is valuable information for improving a product. Most companies want customer feed back, both positive and negitive so they can improve on the process and quality control.
    With that said, if it's not too much of a drive, I'd definitely stop by and let them know you got a "dud". They could offer to replace it, or refund your money. But the best results will come if you aproach it in a positive way.

3. Bear84

Bear84 Member

No harm in going back to the shop and asking them to replace it for you or refund your money. I would view the issues you're having as "defective in workmanship and/or performance." You should never have stain coming off of any pipe, that's just complete shoddy workmanship and as far as the smokability, that is a craftsmanship issue as well if the draft hole is improperly drilled. Like Basil said, just approach it respectfully and in a positive way and there shouldn't be any problem.

4. buistd

buistd Active Member

I took the pipe back today. They're going to refinish it for me which will hopefully solve the stain problem. Both of the guys who make these pipes seemed incredulous that the pipe wouldn't smoke easily at the bottom. The drilling into the bowl looks to be spot on so it's a bit of a mystery to me (and them). I'll pick the pipe up next week after they've refinished it inside and out and if I'm still not happy with it they will let me exchange it for a different one.

shadow and cobbsmoker like this.
  5. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Great! Now they know there is a problem and they want to correct it. Sounds like a couple of good guys. Wish you the best of luck!

6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Sounds like some good guys to do business with, as they seem to care about their product and their customer! :th1:

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Tricky business, pipe returning.

Cracked bowl in a few smokes? Bad stem fitment? Hidden fills? Sure, return for replacement. Stain inside the bowl? Don't buy it is my opinion. Stain leaching on your hands? Return, refund and move on to another brand.

Don't like the way it smokes? Tough call, that. I'd say caveat emptor. Most mechanical problems with pipes are obvious when they're new and those problems that aren't are usually minor and fixable. Select wisely and you rarely have a bad-smoker complaint later. One man's opinion.

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi David!
    It's a bit sad that those two Ex-Charatan pipemakers churned out such a bad pipe!
    If we can manage a meet up next week -and if you still have the pipe by then- we could try a different approach. I'll bring my draught hole enlarger!
    OK: It's only a Philips-head screw driver but I'm convinced it'll sort out the problem!!!!!:bing:

9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

can't beat having hi-tech equipment! :ohyh:

shadow likes this.
  10. buistd

buistd Active Member

Got the pipe back today. Finished nicely inside and out and redrilled well. Smokes better than before. Will keep going with this one but may stick with Blakemar Aristocrats in the future if I want a budget pipe.

11. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

In my opinion you just got awesome service, I was in a very similar situation last year on my yearly pilgrimage to France, and let me tell you I didn't get satisfation! When I tried to get an exchange or my money back, the guy behind the counter told me to take my pipe and shove it where the sun don't shine, to make matters worst, it was a very nice 60Euro Chacom. In the end I managed to fix the problems myself, but still... What a bad saleman, especially since there is another pipe shop right across the street with a wonderfull staff!

12. buistd

buistd Active Member

It is good service and he stressed that if I had any more problems I shouldn't be afraid to go back again. In all honesty I think I may eBay this one as I don't really like the feel of it (stem too narrow at the mouth end) and as it is pretty much brand new I should be able to recoup most of the money I originally paid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.