Pipe Screens?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by MDaws79, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDaws79

MDaws79 Member

I was just looking around on pipesandcigars and noticed that they sold pipe screens. I always thought that those were just used for the "left handed pipes":hp2:
    Does anyone on here use them for smoking tobacco?

Lucky Duck and YAPPG like this.

2. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Negatory. Those are generally reserved for the Mary Jane.

3. bubbagump

bubbagump Sales Account

No. My understanding it that those are also used with hookas. That and the wacky tobaccy.

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Nope. And I've never known anyone to use one with a hookah, either - just like with most legitimate tobacco pipes, they are designed such that a screen is unnecessary (although, something is used ABOVE the tobacco to keep the charcoal separate from the tobacco, but it's either accomplished with foil or with something that looks kinda like a wind cap, if I'm not mistaken)

The general sentiment is that screens are unnecessary at best, and at worst will damage a pipe.

That said, some people must really want them...whether or not they are among the tobacco smoking pipe enthusiasts is unknown...I sure don't know of any of us that regularly use screens

Lucky Duck, YAPPG and Mark Dawson like this.
  5. SthrnMan

SthrnMan Member

Screens in a tobacco pipe are kind of like screens on a submarine.

6. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I imagine that some pot smokers will buy what we consider to be "tobacco only" pipes. Some of the Yanik meers are pretty trippy. Especially the clowns!

YAPPG likes this.
  7. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Enough of those screens and some alum or steel tubing and its sure a lot quieter though..

chud333 likes this.
  8. MDaws79

MDaws79 Member

Thats what I figured. Thanks for the responses.

Lucky Duck likes this.
  9. SamuraiMujuru

SamuraiMujuru Member

Yeah, hookah enthusiast chiming in here, those pipe screens are definitely not used for one.
    The bowl itself keeps things in check, as long as your being a law abiding citizen of good taste. (Seriously, those things are amazing. Why on Earth would anyone smoking anything BUT its normal delicious tobacco out of it?!)

chud333 likes this.
  10. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Yeah pipe screens are not normally used with real tobacco pipes, that reminds me of a story tho...

I was working at the cigar shop and this young kid is looking at the pipes, he asks to look at a huge pipe easily a group 5or6, and he starts getting real sheepish and acting a little nervous and asks " are these for smoking tobacco?" And I tell him yes they are....then he asks " well could you smoke something else in them?" I says once you pay for it you can smoke anything you want in it....but I'll tell you right now...if you looking at a pipe that size for smoking pot in...you don't need a new pipe you need a new dealer, cause he's selling you crap.

The kid turned bright red and bolted out the door.....;)

Lucky Duck, Summit, Skrymr and 4 others like this.
  11. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

I've just been smoking my Super Twist http://www.smokingmetal.co.uk/pipe.php?page=100
    [​IMG]
    posts #3679 #3706 smoking march

but it came without the bowl screw
    [​IMG]
    so I use a screen :byg: to smoke Tobacco :bing:

Mark Dawson and Texhealer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.