Pipe Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demented

When looking at pipes, does your physical stature have any weight in the decision process.

It does for me, for example I can hide a Peterson B or XL size pipe in one hand, anything smaller than their house series pipes feels like a toy and kind of silly.

Anyone else feel particularly odd with pipes which are either small or large?

Oh yes, I'm kind of opposite from you though. I look for smaller sized pipes cause I think I look kinda wierd with a big pipe. My rule is a max of 5" for pipe length. So small straights and full bents are my fav :puff:

- Adam

Alexander

I'm actually partial to the larger pipes as well, as my hands dwarf the smaller bowls. Plus, I look more like Gandalf or something...

not even the slightest. in fact, until this very moment,ive never even thought about it.

my wife the other day said, "you look like an old guy with a pipe in your mouth"
i said, dear, i am an old guy. besides, at my age(50) i really could care less what anyone thinks.:bing:

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Always big pipes, but I'm a big guy. Tiny pipes feel silly to me.

Another way to say this is that I prefer Italian to English, 100% of the time.

Silverado

When I'm looking at pipes, I'm more drawn to pipes that are short and squat, like me!

Bulldogs and Rhodesians especially, but really there are few pipes I see that I don't like.

For me I am very picky about bit width and most of all bit thickness. I have maybe 2 or 3 pipes that I have to "finigal" (is that a word?) to "set right" in my teeth but they pass the "thickness" criteria. I really don't give a precious damn about how I look with a pipe. I smoke them on the patio and in the bathroom with the exhaust fan on or out in my yard.

I've been thinking about a "giving Karma" of sorts here on this forum. Pipes that I know that I'll never smoke ever.........why just not give them to someone that will? Like ask whoever is interested in a thread and put all the names in a hat and draw? Problem is shipping. Don't know what to charge and what method is best. I think it would be good to give some pipes away though and some of them are nice.

Back to thread topic......I just flat ass hands down love a Calabash type bent style or horn bent and I have a Barrentini that is called a Calabash along with a GBD but others may classify them not as such. Again, I don't care what I look good with. I like what fits my teeth and is comfortable and I can't stand the smoke curling near my nose. Did I mention that I can NOT stand straight stem pipes? No insult meant to anybody!

Please think about that "Karma" idea and give input. They do that on the Smith and Wesson Forums for acessories that someone can use. I think if all are honest as to what they'd like or not, it'd be a good thing. And it wouldn't cost anything except shipping. :)

Traderbob

I am with you on bit thickness. One of my favorite pipes is an old (used) GBD bent that I bought at at pipe show. One of the things I like best about this pipe is how low profile the bit is. I have actually considered purchasing a cheap micrometer to take with me when pipe shopping. My local retailer says that is not as crazy as it sounds. He has several customers who measure differenct aspects of a pipe before purchasing.

TheSaint

cincysmoker said:
not even the slightest. in fact, until this very moment,ive never even thought about it.

my wife the other day said, "you look like an old guy with a pipe in your mouth"
i said, dear, i am an old guy. besides, at my age(50) i really could care less what anyone thinks.:bing:
haha my better half says the same thing all the time ... im only 23 though haha

Demented

Old Mr. Wilson said:
I've been thinking about a "giving Karma" of sorts here on this forum. Pipes that I know that I'll never smoke ever.........why just not give them to someone that will? Like ask whoever is interested in a thread and put all the names in a hat and draw?
I've been giving away the cheap pipes I started out with (no longer smoked any of these pipes), here and there for years. The last two about a month ago.

A pipe in a small box will ship USPS Priority any where in the country for 5 - 7 bucks.

jamie7

I'm a big guy and don't really like pipes that seem tiny in my hand. Also I'm not partial to huge bowls unless I can sit and hold it, relaxing for the while.
I buy pipes based on instinct. I rotate pipes based on blend and instinct. I reach for straights more often than bents even though I love bents.
I've got about 25 pipes and just recently bought a couple of MM cobs - seem to be grabbing those off the rack frequently. They have a smaller bowl for when time is an issue, offer a beautiful smoke, and can be abused all day long.

dubhdarra

small pipes seem to smoke better for me, and i'm obsessed with small straight dublins, which is unfortunate because my hands belong on a gorilla so i'll probably look like a victorian cartoon of a scotsman if i get something smaller than my diplomat (which looks like a toy on me anyway)

I'm rather average in stature, and perhaps a bit stocky, yet I prefer larger pipes. I prefer bent stems, but I'll also keep an eye out for something along the lines of a poker or straight billiard. I like the bowl to be at least medium-sized. If the bowl is a little smaller, then a longer stem can balance it out (the Grabow Grand Duke, for example).

Falconeer

Another one of these good questions you never really think about until somebody asks it!

I'd have always said the first question in my mind was "Would the Damn thing smoke OK?" given that my opening pitch is usually "My name's Gerry and I'm an addict" but you've got me wondering now - did I take to Falcons for so many years because I've walked around since age 10 when the rope I was playing Tarzan on over a cliff broke and I've had half a pound of architectural ironmongery in my left hip ever since?

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.