1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

pipe shape and gurgle

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by idiotbox37, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

i tried out my bent guildhall for the first time yesterday w/ some peterson CC and noticed that it gurgled. this is the first time i've dealt w/ gurgle. i was able to take care of it w/ a pipe cleaner so it wasn't a big deal. i had some peterson CC the day before in my straight falcon w/ no issue so i don't think it's the tobacco. so, do certain pipe shapes lead to increased risk of gurgle? do pipe shapes have any other differences in smoke quality or is it mainly cosmetic?

thanks!

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

Pipe moisture in a Falcon collects in the humidome and you either wipe it out after a smoke or it's absorbed by the dry ring if you use them, in a briar pipe the moisture during the smoke is either absorbed by the heel of the pipe during smoking or the moisture collects at the bottom of the bowl causing gurgle. Is your tobacco real moist, are you packing and/or tapping to tight while you smoke? Are you smoking to fast?

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

It could be that the bent pipe is not engineered especially well too. If the air hole in the tenon doesn't line up with the airway down to the chamber, then all sorts of badness can occur.

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ditto! What Sas said...

5. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

there was moisture collected in the falcon so maybe the tobacco was a little wet. actually, that is very likely because my falcon was packed and sat out for a few hours before i got to enjoy it and it still had moisture. duh, why didn't i remember that before i posted, haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.