Pipe sizzle?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by ozarksmoker, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozarksmoker

ozarksmoker Member

I use three different pipes and each one dose it from timt to time. When I get to the bottom of a bowl I will often hear a "sizzle". Is this the moister, tars, condensation burning when the lit tobacco burns it? Is it to much condensation? Is my tobacco to moist? It lights and smokes fine.

2. Jay

Jay Active Member

It happens. I've never worried about it. Does seem the moisture that collects in the last bit of tobacco is the culprit.

It may have a deeper meaning, but I have not pondered on such things.

3. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Yes; no; no. Sizzle often happens at the bottom of the bowl. The leaf down there has soaked up all the juices from the smoke and you're liable to hear a little snap and pop from time to time. No worries. A gurgle, on the other hand, can be a problem.

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

Nothing to worry about. I get that sizzle as well sometimes. One way to get rid of it is to blow gently into the stem, wait for a few seconds, lightly tamp and carry on smoking:bing:

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Not likely that the tobacco is too moist, but I believe water is a by-product of combustion, so there is likely to be some collecting at the bottom of any bowl. No biggie.

6. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Nothing to worry about, as everyone else has said, it happens.

7. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

I agree with what's already been said. No worries. I get it from time to time too. It's just your ember coming in contact with wet tobacco in the heel of your pipe. It's bound to happen from time to time. I get a kick out of hearing it myself.

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I hate pipe sizzle. It makes me fluff- or mash the tobacco and pull out a fluffy pipecleaners and swab out the heel and just go crazy. Sizzle. Who needs it. I hate the sizzle.

What tobacco are you smoking, Sizz?

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's where the opium is .... Enjoy ;)

CustomDave and Puff The Magic like this.
  10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

That's my alarm to let me know that I should
    load another pipe.

11. ozarksmoker

ozarksmoker Member

One of the tobaccos is a house blend I believe from JFH in Springfield,MO, Lifesavers and Straberry cream. Also Town Topic by Premium Aromatic. All good blends. My favorite is Lifesavors and Town Topic.

12. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Yeah, if I stressed noises...well, I'd know what my wife's voice sounds like by now.

Sizzle, pop, et al=no pig squeal.

13. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

No offense, but all these listed(aromatics) are laden with moisture. In a briar, the moisture can overwhelm the absorbtive properties of the wood. Remaining moisture 'pools'....somewhere...i.e.the bowl bottom. It doesn't mean your pipes are bad, just that your preferred blends are moist. Nature of the beast.

14. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

A wet heel should not happen, and something is wrong if it does. Wet, goopy tobacco, tight packing, fast puffing, or poorly cured briar will all cause it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.